Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stuck window 4 years 5 months ago #191651

I'm sorry if this has been posted before - I never seem to have much luck with search engines.
The driver's door window is now stuck in the up position - it will move about half-an-inch up and down from fully closed.
With the door card removed you can see the interior panel distort as the motor tries to move the window.
Only clues are that follows a very rare raised hood moment, the hood adjustment is out, pushing the window slightly outward but I use it so rarely that I haven't bothered to sort it.
The hood was up and the car closed in 32 degree-plus temperatures, the friend who was using the car (it was the Circuits des Remparts rally at Angoulême and I was in our MGB) said the heat was ferocious as he opened the door!
Any clues would be most appreciated.
What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Stuck window 4 years 5 months ago #191654

Hi there . If the window is moving the door card when you operate the window up or down , it may be that the window has come out of the window channel guides and jamming ( not Bob Marley jamming ) but sticking or being derailed . Removing the door card and using a good torch you should be able to see if the glass is out of the runner that is adjustable.
It's not easy to diagnose a fault from the UK :nonod: If your post had been three weeks ago , I was in Belle France in my TF and could have popped down to your neck of the woods and had a look in exchange for a couple of nights in your Gites . :P
John .

Stuck window 4 years 5 months ago #191658

The symptoms indicate the the window glass has jumped the window stop. When this happens the window sits high and will only go down a little until it hits the stop. The short term solution is to try to get the window glass below the stop again, but it will jump it again once it has managed it.

When you get the window down you will need to fit a new window stop. You may have the older type stop fitted. There is a newer version which helps reduce the chance of it happening again.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Stuck window 4 years 5 months ago #191659

Search window stop for more info on the forum.
David
Attachments:

Stuck window 4 years 4 months ago #191902

Many thanks David, sorry for the long delay but I've not had a chance to look at things since my original post.

This certainly seems to be the problem as the window is too high to close inside the hood - nothing to do with the hood adjustment.

At the moment I can't fathom out how to get the window back down past the stop in order to replace it!

I think the single bolt in the circled hole is the one, but I'm reluctant to start slackening of anything until I'm certain.

Any guidance would be most welcome.

Mike
What's that black canvas thing behind the seats for?
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Inserted photo

Stuck window 4 years 4 months ago #191922

I seem to remember using a wooden wedge to ease the door inner away from the glass just enough to allow the stop to pass down below the limit again.
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT