Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191621

I am using good quality, breathable half-cover for my recently acquired MGTF, which has to live out of doors. In the present autumn weather (British), with the cover fitted, condensation rapidly builds up underneath it, leaving the cockpit area of the car permanently damp. It works well to protect the soft/hard top and windscreen scuttle grille from airborne debris, falling leaves, bird droppings, etc., but I am concerned that this condensation means that, overall, the cover might be doing more harm than good. I have also bought a full cover for use in the depths of winter, but this will presumably result in condensation over the entire car.

What are other owners experiences with use of covers to protect their cars?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Lodrun.

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191622

Leave the windows ajar an inch or two under the covers to allow the air to circulate.

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191624

The damp is on the outside of the car, not inside it. How can leaving windows ajar help?

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191625

My car is also having to stand outside at the moment. I use 2 full covers (both only about £30 - £40 each) 1st is a non waterproof cover, which is slightly thicker, covered with a weatherproof cover.
The car stays dry, clean and damp free.
Is your weatherproof cover breathable? If it's a decent quality one it should be.

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191630

Mike Satur makes a cover called the Hoodmate Storm Cover, which covers the upper part of the windshield, top of the door windows and covers the entire hood. We use this cover when we park the F outside overnight and it does an excellent job of keeping rain out, and the interior stays dry, no dampness. Mike also make a Hoodmate Sun Cover, which covers the entire windshield.
Mark
95 MGF

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191632

The water forms on the outside of the car (i.e. under the cover) not inside the car. The cover was supplied by Classic Additions and is (allegedly) waterproof and breathable.

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191638

I have one of these

Custom half-covers

Not had any problems

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191639

Thank you for that suggestion. I will take a look at it.

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191641

Pull the footwell carpets back and check for water ingress inside the cockpit. Usually if there is a lot of condensation on the inside, its due to water inside the cockpit. Try drying the car out if you have any internal wetness and find the source of the ingress.

Sundance

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191642

Mike Satur's cover is intended to augment and protect the soft top. My car has a works hard top for the winter, so that is not an issue and water does not get into the car anyway. My problem is condensation between the cover and the hard top, etc.

Car Covers 4 years 6 months ago #191643

I have one of these

Custom half-covers

Not had any problems

I also have one of these, fits well. when i used it with the soft top up, it resulted in moisture inbetween it and the soft top , but with the hard top it wasnt too bad.

There will always be a bit of moisture happen because warmer air in the day will rise up from under the car, get between the cover and the car and then in the night condensate, best way to counter i found when i have had cars live outside is to take the cover off a coupe of times a week (if its not raining!) and give the car wipe over with a microfibe. if you give it a decent clay - then wax/treatment before you cover it up at the start, it should be ok.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT