Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF 97, clutch pedal now stuck down:( 4 years 7 months ago #191221

So, after getting a great job done on fitting a new head in my driveway (by someone in Oxfirdshire who I shall recommend as soon as I can find their details again!), it appears I still cant go anywhere as the clutch has seized :D

Have tried letting it run for a good while and working the pedal, but it seems stuck solid! Is there any other suggestions on freeing up and/or someone who can come out and have a look? I'm in Wiltshire

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF 97, clutch pedal now stuck down:( 4 years 7 months ago #191222

Hi . just to be clear , are you saying that the clutch pedal has no hydraulic pressure behind it ? It is a usual complaint that the pedal is solid after being stood . Common cause is the arm on the gearbox being seized through lack of use . If the pedal can be pulled back up and then pressed to the floor without resistance it means that either there is air in the system or the clevis pin on the slave cylinder to clutch arm has been removed or dropped out which I think is unlikely . I can't see that the work you have had done on the head will have caused this . You will need to remove the engine access panel to see the slave cylinder and clutch arm and ,if it is air in the system , to bleed it which is not the easiest of jobs to do by yourself .
Let us all know how you get on .

John

MGF 97, clutch pedal now stuck down:( 4 years 7 months ago #191247

Hi John. Thanks for the call yesterday... really appreciated!

Found the details of the chap who did the work and am getting in touch, although also trying this suggestion

"It is quite easy to access the slave cylinder by removing the engine bay cover. That will allow you to disconnect the clutch and its hydraulic operator (remove the clevis pin joining them, referred to by Reckless above). You can then diagnose a lot more about the problem. It might be as simple as just the slave cylinder seal needs replacing - which is under a tenner and a simple DIY. If the clutch release arm is seized this is also the best access point from which to try and introduce lubrication to restore movement. That would also be a cheap 'fix' - although it might only be temporary."

Will keep the thread updated!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT