Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191170

Hi folks – earlier today, after a rare run in he sun, I tried to raise my windows, but the passenger one won’t go up. Never had any trouble before (only 16000 on the clock).

When you press the switch, you can see the glass move up a millimetre or so, then just stops. Tried it loads of times, but the total movement is only a mm or two, up or down. It’s right down at the bottom.

Anything I can do to get it up before the rain starts (I’m in N Ireland FFS) please?

I’ve read various threads about replacing the regulator etc on this forum, but they tend to say things like “Just replace the regulator with a used one” and unfortunately I haven't a clue how to get it off.

I have the door card off, but can’t see anything obvious.

Thing is, the most urgent requirement is to get the glass up before it rains, so I don’t have to resort of bin liners/duct tape etc :-(

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Sp

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191171

Right, I don’t know if this helps or not, but when I press the switch, the big toothed quadrant thing inside the door attempts to move a little, and the metal panel of the inside of the door in that area actually moves towards the outside of the car, so considerable force is obviously being exerted, but something is preventing it from going further :(

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191174

Not much help, I'm afraid, but it sounds like the window is jammed rather than the regulator is faulty. Has the window dropped out of the guides? Are they blocked with something?

I'm pretty sure I have seen some diagrams of the window mechanism somewhere because I am wanting to adjust them at some point.

Someone is going to know something about this so I hope they come along soon :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191175

Not much help, I'm afraid, but it sounds like the window is jammed rather than the regulator is faulty. Has the window dropped out of the guides? Are they blocked with something?

I'm pretty sure I have seen some diagrams of the window mechanism somewhere because I am wanting to adjust them at some point.
Someone is going to know something about this so I hope they come along soon :-)

Does sound like that, doesn't it… trouble is, you can’t really see in, AND I don’t know what I’m looking for. I tried loosening off the bolts which seemed to hold the regulator to the door, and shook it around a bit, but still no joy. Have just spent ½ an hour with the plastic bags and masking tape :rant:

Last edit: Post by Hogweed.

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191176

Hey up Hogweed,
What happens to the regulators is there is a plastic bevel gear driven by the motor. After time, the plastic gear wears and there are little or no teeth left on it to engage it.
The only solution is a replacement regulator (the mechanism to drop the window, including the motor).
Its a simple enough job. and takes about a hour to swap - its just a few bolts and the motor is on a plug.

The good news is that the switch and wiring are ok if the window tries to move, so a new window reg will sort you out.
I have had to change a few over the years, just remember to try to tape up the protective door film under the door card before you put the card back on.

There should be a how to on here to explain how its done, but if I recall its only three or four bolts and the mechanism comes out of the door.

Good luck mate.

Oh if you order a replacement from one of the part suppliers out there, suggest you order a couple of door card clips and a couple of the blue plastic clips that accept the self tapping screws on the door cards at the same time, as they can break when removing or sometimes refitting the card.

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK. Reason: Punctuation error

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191177

You may be able to raise the window by giving it a helping hand if your try to operate it...just to get the window up until you get the parts.
Just watch your fingers though!

Sundance

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191179

You may be able to raise the window by giving it a helping hand if your try to operate it...just to get the window up until you get the parts.
Just watch your fingers though!

Sundance

Cheers mate... aw, I tried everything - levering at the window from underneath (yes, I spotted the finger-removing potential :omg: ), pulling from above with snipey pliers, random pushing and wrenching etc, but no joy. The guides say to wind he window up before trying to remove the reg, but of course I can't.

I got the bit about the teeth on the motor, but this "feels" different - the motor seems to give the reg a serious try, but it's jammed. If teeth were gone, wouldn't th emotor just spin or something? I guess I didn't expect the motor to be wrecked after 16000 miles either :-?
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Hogweed.

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191180

Hi Hogweed.
Are you sure that the glass is still in the slides of the frame as I agree with you that if the sprocket was stripped it wouldn't try to force the glass up . My ZR had exactly the same fault as the gorilla at Longbridge that built it didn't line up the glass in the guides and it jammed as I drove off the forecourt !
John

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191182

Hi Hogweed.
Are you sure that the glass is still in the slides of the frame as I agree with you that if the sprocket was stripped it wouldn't try to force the glass up . My ZR had exactly the same fault as the gorilla at Longbridge that built it didn't line up the glass in the guides and it jammed as I drove off the forecourt !
John

Sounds about right John... trouble is, I can't see the glass at the front of the door (looks fine at the back), and not even sure exactly what the runner or whatever looks like, or how I could relocate the glass if it WAS out, as you seem to have to have the glass raised to do anything, and I can't do that :rant: :rant: :rant:

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191183

From memory as I had to replace my drivers door central door latch , the front of the guide ( I think ) is fixed /part of the door and the rear nearest the door handle is adjustable with a nut that is or should be in line with the glass at the lower part of the inside of the door . 13 mm nut I think but it was February when I did it so , my brain fades after a bit .Tis mi age ! !
John :nonod:

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191184

From memory as I had to replace my drivers door central door latch , the front of the guide ( I think ) is fixed /part of the door and the rear nearest the door handle is adjustable with a nut that is or should be in line with the glass at the lower part of the inside of the door . 13 mm nut I think but it was February when I did it so , my brain fades after a bit .Tis mi age ! !
John :nonod:

Tell me about it

Attachments:

URGENT PLEASE - door regulator 4 years 7 months ago #191186

There are two bolts (36) that clamp the glass to the regulator. Remove these and you should be able to raise the glass manually, independently of the regulator. If the glass won't slide up, it's jammed in/out of the runners.
David
:shrug:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT