Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hardtop rear clamps 4 years 8 months ago #190820

Hi gents,
Nothing new about the subject, but I haven't seen the answer to my problem.
I've just bought a hardtop for my 2004 MG TF135. The car is Cool blue as is the hardtop. I assumed it would have come from a similar aged car.
The fron clips align fine and apart from the fastenings, which I'll replace the hardtop is in good condition. I can't find the wire for the heated rear window but Best of British have pointed me in the right direction. It's probably fallen down the void in the 'door pillar' area. I need to remove the hardtop to see that, but I'd like advice about the rear clips first.
The rear clips misalign by about 20mm, not a bit! I can't see any adjustment, I've accessed the mounting bolts and the car hooks are positively located. The hardtop clips are bolted on.
The car doesn't seem to have had a hardtop fitted before, I've bought and fitted the switch and relay for the HRW and bought a lead to connect to the demister connections.
????.
Thanks in anticipation for any advice or information.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hardtop rear clamps 4 years 8 months ago #190826

Hi and welcome to the forum

Have you tried doing the rear catches first?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Hardtop rear clamps 4 years 8 months ago #190828

No I haven't. The car is away at the moment, I'll try it when memsahib returns from work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Kind Regards

Sandy

Hardtop rear clamps 4 years 8 months ago #190830

Thanks James,
tried the rear clamps first and they stayed put when I tightened the front clips. I wouldn't have thought the hardtop would have distorted so much. Need to adjust the clamps slightly, but they're in place now.
Well done

Kind Regards

Sandy
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Hardtop rear clamps 4 years 8 months ago #190831

It's also a good idea to closely check the fit of the windows once you have the hard top fitted. What is a good seal on the soft top may not be as good on the roof.

Wind them up and down a few times, and check the fit. Also a good idea not to slam the doors too hard until you have checked this.

You may be lucky and have a roof / soft top combo that are fairly close, but sadly many people don't and have the hassle of having to take door cards out and adjust the window height each time the hardtop goes on or off (a reason why so many never spend much time on the car).

Hardtop rear clamps 4 years 8 months ago #190832

The only hardtop you should ever need:

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT