Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Fuel smell after stopping 4 years 11 months ago #190487

My TF is ok when driving, but after stopping i appear to get a fairly strong smell of fuel, i vaguely recall this being mentioned before, but have been unable to find a thread, is there a vent valve or something which opens after the car stops?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Fuel smell after stopping 4 years 11 months ago #190489

The unburnt excess fuel stores in the fuel canister before being dumped back into the fuel tank. May be worth checking the fuel lines for any leaks, they are mostly push in connectors. Also worth checking that your fuel cap seal is ok. Finally it may be a good idea to take the cover off the fuel pump access port and see if anything is amiss around the fuel pump.
If you depress the petrol filler cap, you should get a whoosh and a nice whiff of petrol. If this is not happening then there is most likely a slight leak in the fuel system somewhere.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gavin207

Fuel smell after stopping 4 years 11 months ago #190490

Thanks - generally there is a whoosh when taking the filler cap off, i had a problem with the pump last year but repaired it ( loose pin in the pump electrical socket), so it may be something to do with the fuel canister - i moved this when replacing the head gasket recently, so probably the place to start. i'll take the cover off at the weekend and report back.

Fuel smell after stopping 4 years 10 months ago #190697

So still getting problems of fuel smells. I have the central armrest removed and have noticed that the smell of fuel is coming through the tunnel. Took the fuel tank cover behind the seats off and found that there is a hole in the top of the tunnel directly below the tank, so this is where the fuel smell is coming through.

I also noticed it becomes stronger after accelerating hard - could this be tied in with the charcoal canister / dump line into the tank, and I assume this is the seperate connection on the top of the tank?

Sorry, lots of questions :P

Fuel smell after stopping 4 years 10 months ago #190698

I think I would be tracing the fuel line from the pump looking for possible leaking seals. A lot of the pipes are on push connectors with neoprene o-rings as seals. Might just be worth looking at the pipe and fuel filter that feeds the fuel rail and indeed the injectors themselves.
I have not had the injectors out in my TF, but have had to replace a few o-rings on the fuel rails and injectors on my KV6 engine in my ZTT. The 4 cylinder K series should not be much different in how the fuel injectors are inserted.....its quite do-able.
You should be able to get an o-ring kit and pop out the injectors to replace the o-rings on both the injectors and fuel rail if necessary.
The fact that you say the smell is stronger with speed suggests that the problem may be on the fuel supply side of the system.
Its worth a cover off inspection at least - then after that, have a look at the return line and charcoal cannister.
A final thought is that you may wish to replace the inlet manifold gasket, which may be faulty....if you have a plastic manifold, a good time to change over to cast metal one!
Good luck

Sundance

Fuel smell after stopping 4 years 10 months ago #190699

Thanks, I agree it's probably a fuel line, although there isn't any evidence of leaks around them. I've still got the tank panel off so I'll drive it around a bit like this and have a good sniff around periodically to see if I can find the culprit.

I changed the inlet manifold recently following HGF.

Last edit: Post by Gavin207.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT