Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190206

I was out and about this morning ( sadly not in the TF) and passed this former gem from the BMC stable . Badge engineered from the 'Landcrab' 1800 / 2200 series , a rather sorry looking Wolseley 18.85 just begging to be restored. Judging from the amount of road muck underneath it has been there for ages . Shame as these were a great drive .
John
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190208

Yes it's a shame to see them go to the scrap yard..but some just have them sitting around in country villages has a attraction....I saw a triumph vitesse in a local village...it looked doomed....half a canvas roof left and rust all over.....it will never drive again I said....suprised has a bloke jumped in and drove off.....Did that wolesley have a illuminated front badge?

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190209

Yes , the badge on the grille was illuminated. Wolseley used to advertise that it was the only car with its name in lights . I used to own a Wolseley Hornet mk 3 ( a Mini with a boot ,to all who don't know what one is ) back in the seventies, went all over in it and loved it to bits . Heinz ran a competition back in the sixties and there were about 50 Crayford convertible Hornet's up for grabs . There are still a few on the register and will be worth a few bob now .
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190210

Yes I remember the hornet....I think there was one in the chamber of horrors at Blackpool. ..If my memory is correct it was a mangled wreck in a crash scene in the 70s...plus there were the riley versions?????????....don't know the connection.

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190211

Yes . Give that man a prize . The Riley version was the the Elf , which had a full walnut dash . The Wolseley and Riley brands were discontinued after the Wolseley 2200 four door saloon in the early 70's , another badge engineered version of the Princess wedge shaped Austin / Morris cars . The 2200 had a silky smooth chain driven OHC 6cyl engine with loads of low down grunt .

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190245

The princess must be pretty rare now..but hey a wolesley princess...think I've only seen 1

Oh and for johns old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun...well it's run out of mot.

And the tax is valid till April 1st 2020.

Dvla say it's blue...is that right or has the paint faded over time?...or maybe these cars are exempt from mot tests?
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190246

Yes well , I suppose it might have been blue eons ago but the verdigris it is adorned by now males it a bit yuk . My Uncle worked for Mitre sports as a director of a once world famous football manufacturer and his last company car was a Wolseley Six ( princess wedge ) 2200 6cyl OHC , only drove it once but a lovely car . Maldives blue metalic I believe .

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190251

Its on an F plate, which is '67, mot exempt as the cut off is currently '79

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190252

Yes but, I for one would certainly be MOT ing it !

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190263

I work for Wolseley, we sold the car business in the '60s, luck really as we are still in business and the buyers of the car business isn't.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190265

Hi TC.
That's really interesting. Does that mean the car business was sold to BMC and then ruined by BL ? My Wolseley had a vin plate stamped Fishlow as the assembly plant .

John

Re:Old classic basking in the Yorkshire sun . 4 years 11 months ago #190270

Hi TC.
That's really interesting. Does that mean the car business was sold to BMC and then ruined by BL ? My Wolseley had a vin plate stamped Fishlow as the assembly plant .

John

Fishlow or Fisholow would have been the name for Fisher and Ludlow that made the body panels in Castle Bromwich Birmingham, assembly would have been in at a guess Cowley in Oxford.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT