Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Unusual key fob issue 5 years 2 weeks ago #190150

It's that time again folks! Us fare weather MGFers dust off the head gaskets and enjoy some soft top down motoring; or at least that was my intention.
The usual flat battery was my first hurdle. Everything charged fine the battery holds a steady charge. My problems started when I tried to open the car with the key fob. The usual 'unlock the door, lock the door, press the button 5-8 times' didn't work.I tried multiple combinations and multiple batteries in the fob. Nothing seemed to work.
I searched my manual for the EKA code to no avail so decided to use our friends at MGRoverCodes. This morning, whilst obtaining the VIN number I thought I'd give it one last try. To my surprise, the key unlocked the doors and disabled the immobiliser, the car started first time and all was well! I turned off the engine and took the key out but yet again the fob would not work. After walking around the car several times, eventually it worked again but only if i held the key in a very specific location (bonnet open, near the drivers side windscreen). This works intermittently now but my question is, what is going on?! I'm guessing there is some kind of sensor to pick up the key fob presses but could this be faulty? Has it somehow slipped down or become blocked (for want of a better word)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys & girls.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Unusual key fob issue 5 years 2 weeks ago #190152

I had this issue going on last year but mine is a TF and has the pesky Pektron system. Have you tried a new set of batteries in the fob as yours will be a Lucas system and they are a bit more reliable.
John
Ps I hope my TF wakes up in a better mood this year as I sent my fobs and BCU away to Technozen for repair .

Unusual key fob issue 5 years 2 weeks ago #190163

Hi Nick

The receiver for the signal is a wire buried in the loom under the dash. It is possible, if you can find it, to separate out this wire so it picks up the signal better but I suspect the problem is the fob.

If you are near Horsham I can match fobs and extract the EKA code for you.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT