Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190124

Decided to do an oil and filter change. I can not shift the filter used the chain tool no good and now have used the screw driver hammered though the filter still will not budge,any suggestions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190125

Well if it's that tight , no I can't be of any help at all. You may end up removing the filter housing if its that tight and get it in a vice to get more purchase . I once broke a filter housing ( Aluminum ) due to a filter being over tightened .
A lesson for us all here guys , never tighten a filter without lubricating the rubber seal first and more to the point never tighten with anything other than by hand !

John

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190126

The chain and screw driver together?

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190129

I use the proper tool designed to grip the filter and connects to a 3/8 drive extention bar and ratchet...the filter has a fluted end and the filter cup tool is fluted to match ....make sense to use this type of tool has access isn't the greatest.....I have changed a fliter on my mazda and on that due to gaurd etc you can only see bottom of filter...so got around that using large pair of plumbers pliers.....picture of the tf filter cup tool below...
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190131

Inside the filter tool is this inscription...74/76×15.....15 stands for 15 flutes on the filter....just input 74/76×15 on your ebay search and the correct filter tool for the k series comes up....fits yamaha motorbikes too....cheapest about £8..??...ignore the ones from the states etc with massive postal costs.....picture of size inscribed in tool below.

Connected to ratchet...I only use the cup tool for removal and rely on hands for insertion

But if you have a big pair of plumbers pliers that open wide enough to grip the bottom of the filter...

I remove filters on commercial vehicles that appear welded on and it's better to apply preasure slowly and surely rather than tryng to wrench them...or it just destroys the filter and the rim still stays securely fitted..
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190147

I use one of these on stiff filters, and find it does the job - it will crush the filter as it bites in if it is very stiff.

Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Gavin207.

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190149

I find that a strap wrench works very well to remove the oil filter.
Mark
95 MGF

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190160

Did you say a strapping wench? as i could see how that would work!

Norm
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Oil filter 4 years 11 months ago #190161

Thanks all for your suggestions, in the end I sprayed it with plusgas and carefully used an hammer and chisel and it goes without saying a lot of cursing.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT