Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 5 years 1 week ago #190122

Hello,

Am new to the community, own a MG TF135 52 plate. For about 8 months now, loving it. Unfortunately/Fortunately the exhaust backbox has suggested I get a replacement as its tried its best.
In light of getting a new exhaust, I have decided to go for SS, however I can only afford a used one. I was hoping to get your experiences from using SS exhaust, especially how its stood over time. I have done a kmap ECU upgrade, so I get the pops, I would an exhaust that sings depending on the note play and will not drown me on motorway trips. Any tips or advise would be appreciated.
So far, I have seen a used Toyosport SS complete manifold to backbox, new Cybox SS exhaust backbox, new LE500 exhaust backbox, and a new used standard exhaust backbox.

I was hoping to get a backox which would up the bhp, what I have read so far is max gains is about 2-5 and other factors have to be considered, please correct me if I am wrong.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 5 years 1 week ago #190134

There are quite a few back boxes to choose from, I have tried three stainless ones.
I currently have a scorpion and it's a pretty good all rounder. You'll be lucky if you get hold of a second hand one and new prices are north of £300.

I have also tried a TT but it was just to loud, so probably not suitable given your remit.

Lastly is the Toyo, I found it to be on a par with my scorpion, peerhaps just a slightly deeper tone but not intrusive on a long drive. They can be had for £150 on ebay and are good value especially as they have changed the hanging points. With the older type they put the hangers on the skin of the back box which was a weak point and the hangers would crack the skin and come off(it happened to me).

In summary I would have another toyo but am happy with the scorpion.

Things to look out for make sure the exhaust is for a TF, MGF exhausts wont fit. Your old bolts will be gone so if you are replacing the exhaust yourself a grinder will be needed. Finally there is a rubber hose connected to the older oem exhaust this needs to be tied up and blocked.

Hope that is of some help good luck with your search.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ayonilu

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 5 years 1 week ago #190142

Hi and welcome to the forum

Are you fitting it yourself?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 5 years 1 week ago #190146

thanks @Bob, you have definitely added to my knowledge bank. How long did you have the toyosport for, and when you decided to change toyosport, were there any issues at later stage apart from the hanger issue.

Hello @James, I have being eyeing your heated alcantara before I got my mg

I am tempted to fit it myself, as it would strengthen the bond between user and use.

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 5 years 1 week ago #190148

I have the manifold and downpipe with flexi from Toyo. And a standard cat with a Daytona back box. The system has been good apart from the flexi/downpipe weld cracking last year. I had it rewelded and its been fine since.
Oh and I had to replace the triangular flange on the Daytona as it had rusted away and was leaking. That had to have the end of the Daytona pipe removed and a new trumpet end welded on too. My Daytona. Is pretty old as I bought it second hand! (I know! Rare as rocking horse poo!!) about 9-10 years ago
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 5 years 6 days ago #190170

Hello Ayonilu I had the Toyo on my previous car, a VVC F and it went with the car. I had to have the hangers welded and reinforced after only a few months of use. The exhaust was fine for the couple of years I had the car after the repair. I was planning to get another Toyo for my 160 but a member on here offered me the scorpion for £120 so I couldn't turn it down. I still think the Toyo sounded better.

Stainlees Steel (SS) Exhaust Update 4 years 10 months ago #190513

Hello Gents,

Good news,
Finally got a Toyo exhaust and its been fitted. I hope to post the sound at some point. I took it to the garage to fit, the task seems it required more advanced tools.

Thank you for the insights and advice. Next task is to clean the hood, :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT