Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Amber engine management light - intermittent flashing 5 years 3 weeks ago #189951

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi all,
From time to time Roxy's amber engine management light will start flashing. Typically this is on the motorway when I've gone over the brow of a climb and I lift off the throttle to keep to the speed limit. As soon as I hit the throttle again the light goes out, and if I don't hit the throttle, the flashing stops after 8-10 blinks.
I've done a throttle position re-set, and there are no error codes showing.
Any ideas?
Winko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Amber engine management light - intermittent flashing 5 years 3 weeks ago #189959

The official advice is to stop as soon as possible.
However as it only lasts a few seconds I wouldn't panic just yet.

First thing to do is to get a code reader on the car.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Amber engine management light - intermittent flashing 5 years 3 weeks ago #189966

Manual says:

illumination while driving indicates an engine fault:
- if car drives normally, arrange a service appointment
- if light flashes and / or car does not drive normally, avoid high speeds and seek immediate assistance

My used to come on if I'd had the car idling whilst fiddling with it, and go out after a couple of decent runs, so I suspect it was possibly something to do with emissions, yours could be mixture related by the sounds of it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Amber engine management light - intermittent flashing 5 years 3 weeks ago #189972

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks TC, thanks Gavin,
Both my local garage and I have used a reader and there are no codes showing up. I too suspect it's a fuelling issue.
Maybe the next step is to run the car with the OBD reader in place to see if something dramatic shows up, but that'll have to wait till I have a passenger aboard, as the issue normally arises on the motorway.
I'll have to keep looking.
Winko

Amber engine management light - intermittent flashing 5 years 2 weeks ago #189979

The www.pscan.uk has the ability to record live data.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re:Amber engine management light - intermittent flashing 5 years 2 weeks ago #190040

Could be a misfire issue due to coils, leads or plugs breaking down. Had a similar issue with mine over Xmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT