Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 1 week ago #189894

Hi. Not used my TF much this winter as I've started cycling the short distance to work but the car's starting to feel damp so I'm giving it a long ride this weekend, from Cornwall to Cumbria, where it'll be sorned and stored in a warm garage for a bit. So, does anyone have any suggestions on fuel addtitives to put in the tank before I set off. I was planning on the usual reddex but I've noticed all sorts at my local car car part shop.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 1 week ago #189895

Hi . Think I would go for Reddex as it's a trusted brand and I personally would fill with non supermarket fuel before your run which I might add is a ........LONG journey ! :drive:

John

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 1 week ago #189896

Personally I would fill up with premium super petrol, probably 99ron Tesco momentum as it's cheaper but Shell V power or BP Ultra will do the same.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 1 week ago #189899

I’m with Talking Cars on this. Save your cash and don’t buy an additive. Just fill up with top quality high octane. In my experience, Shell is the best by far.
If you've quite a lot of fuel in the tank already, then it would make sense to bang in some high octane and Reddex, so it gets mixed in the tank. Then top up on the trip up, as necessary. However, if you’re planning to have her off the road for a while, try to leave her with a fairly empty tank. That way you can add fresh high octane when she comes up from her slumbers, counteracting stale fuel starting problems.
Enjoy the drive. When Roxy’s behaving I do Ayrshire/Skipton/Leeds on a Monday; business mileage during the week and then Yorkshire up to Ayrshire on the Friday. That can mean anything from 500 up to approaching 900 miles in a week - and not a boring one amongst them.
Safe journey.
Winko
The following user(s) said Thank You: Martinm760

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 1 week ago #189901

As fuel ages it's octane level drops away, si if your storing the car for a while then if what fuel you have in the tank is high octane then your giving your self a head start in the fuel deterioration stakes.
When you do start using the car again the first fill should be high octane to dilute the stale fuel.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 1 week ago #189909

I like to think putting a few gallons of higher octane petrol is a nice little treat for the car, bit like if I behave myself walking round Ikea while the wife's choosing stuff for the house, I get to have an ice cream at the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The driving dutchman, Martinm760

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 6 days ago #189917

I go with john on that one...bit of red ex mate and stay away from tesco while refuelling has they have knackerd a few cars in the past with low octane fuel...

Or you could put a tiger in your tank!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 5 days ago #189924

Made it! Nine hours including two stops at service stations. As it was already full of Tesco fuel I opted for the Reddex. The drive was more comfy than I expected, just a bit noisier than normal because I put the hard top on it. Odd that the hard top makes it noisier?

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 5 days ago #189926

Well done .
John

Long Journey Engine Cleaners 5 years 4 days ago #189932

Made it! Nine hours including two stops at service stations. As it was already full of Tesco fuel I opted for the Reddex. The drive was more comfy than I expected, just a bit noisier than normal because I put the hard top on it. Odd that the hard top makes it noisier?

Well done.

The trick with noise is to pop the hard top in the garage (or back garden or wherever you can) and go every where with the roof down (unless it's raining) as that is quietest.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NigelOBB

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT