Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189709

I have a late 2004 TF115 and I'm fitting a remote boot release. The feed is via a relay, and I don't want to have to hide the switch, so I'd like to control the relay using a supply which is only live when the car alarm is disarmed, can anyone tell me where I could take this supply from?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189711

Hi,
Tap into the cigar lighter, on a 2004 TF its always powered up, not switched from the ignition this makes it ideal to feed the boot release circuit, and is handily located to where most people put the switch.
If you use a switch that has a rating of 5 amps or more, you can leave the relay out and feed the boot release solenoid directly from the switch, making the wiring simpler and with less to go wrong.
I used a 10A rated industrial push button fed from the lighter circuit (this is fused at 10A) which switches directly to the solenoid. The -ve connection I just connected to boot release mechanism housing using the boot lid as a -ve earth return.

Sundance

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189712

If you want it at the back, there is an easy connection to the reversing light switch which is controlled with the ignition. Does that help?

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189713

What I really want is a supply which is only live when the alarm is disarmed but with the ignition off, so that I can open the boot with the car unlocked, but the key not in the ignition.

Alternatively an earth which is only earthed when the alarm is disarmed.

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189718

Not sure that you have earth or live which are active only when alarm is disarmed. Alarm is not working in that way.

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189722

Hi Sundance,

I know I've seen your installation before but I forgot to ask previously, were did you get your solenoid kit from?

Squashman

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189734

Invalid or non-existent item ID.Invalid or non-existent item ID.I got it from ebay - not too expensive either, just needed to add a couple of brackets from my Meccano set to assist with mounting it, but B and Q sell a good range of steel bracketry. Like I said before, no need to use a relay if you use a decent enough switch.
The switch supplied with the kit was a small micro push button which was not that suitable. I tested the solenoid and found that it pulled in just over 3 amps when energised, so it was a no brainer to omit the relay and use a good solid push button to operate the solenoid.Anything that can handle 5 amps or more will do - dont forget the operation of the solenoid is momentary, you only need to supply it for a fraction of a second for it to open the catch.
Just make sure your boot catch is nice and free before fitting...maybe best to give it a grease up.
Ebay link below...

Boot release kit
Electric Boot Release Kit - MGF MGTF MG TF T ZR
Completed

Push button head

Push button contact unit

Sundance

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189748

I used a boot solenoid from a ZR, this has a cable that I hooked on to the release mechanism. The cable meant I could mount it in a less intrusive position close to the boot lock. I used a Saab boot release button which is quite capable of handling the power.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

boot release switch power supply 5 years 2 weeks ago #189752

My solenoid is also from a ZR but, I also used a ZR latch and used the rod connection direct to the latch and also close mounted. I did use a relay operated by a small momentary switch and mounted the relay behind the boot carpet trim on the relay bracket that is on the N/S/R of the boot .
John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Spelling
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.925 seconds