• Page:

Topic

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189498

• TFZR's Avatar Topic Author
  • TFZR
  • Apprentice MGer
  • Apprentice MGer
Hi,
I have a TF 135 from Scotland and now this Cars has a german Plate, Now I will change the 70000 Miles in Km I have a new Km Odometer but on what way I can change the Kms on this Odometer from 70000 Miles to 112654kms.
best wishes
Roland

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189505

Hi.
It is not possible to alter the odometer reading.:nonod: Usually people will note the final reading of the old odometer in the vehicle paperwork and start again at 0 with the new one.

Even using a second hand instrument panel the same procedure applies. Noting down the old reading and the start reading on the replacement.
CORRECTION
reading below, it is clear that it is possible to have the odometer corrected and changed from mph to kph!
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Correction

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189509

I read something a few days ago which touched on this subject, I think. I just looked for it and found it! I hope it helps.

Sundance was talking about calibrating a new speedo by passing a square wave through it using a gizmo he had bought from ebay/china. One of the side effects of the calibration was that the odometer was ticking over all of the time. The thread is in Pitstop under the heading Instruments calibration data. The link is here.

Is there a way of tagging someone (Sundance) on this forum?

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189511

This applies to TF with electronic odometer only.

As far as I am aware the odometer reading is stored in at least two places on the car. I believe in the odometer itself and also the ECU. (I replaced my ECU and got a higher odometer reading, which messed up my limited mileage policy!)

Replacing either will result in the HIGHEST value stored being used, and set in the odometer display.

If you install a speedometer from a lower mileage car, then the mileage stored in the ECU will be used. If the odometer has a higher reading than the ECU, then the odometer reading will be used.

After this both stored values are syncronised.

So I believe if the new odometer has a lower reading, the stored value in the ECU will be displayed.

However not sure how this will impact when changing a KM odometer with an MPH ECU!

Last edit: Post by G0RSQ.

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189513

This applies to TF with electronic odometer only.

As far as I am aware the odometer reading is stored in at least two places on the car. I believe in the odometer itself and also the ECU. (I replaced my ECU and got a higher odometer reading, which messed up my limited mileage policy!)

Replacing either will result in the HIGHEST value stored being used, and set in the odometer display.

If you install a speedometer from a lower mileage car, then the mileage stored in the ECU will be used. If the odometer has a higher reading than the ECU, then the odometer reading will be used.

After this both stored values are syncronised.

So I believe if the new odometer has a lower reading, the stored value in the ECU will be displayed.

However not sure how this will impact when changing a KM odometer with an MPH ECU!

This must be for TFs made after 2005, as none prior to this stored mileage anywhere else then on instrument itself.

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189515

It was my 2002 TF that I noticed this.

Replaced ECU, and alarm module, due to an issue with the engine bay fan never running, but doing this added nearly 4000 miles to my odometer.

Changed it back and the extra 4000 miles remained!

Needed to explain this to my insurance as was on a 5000 mile policy!

After this I did some internet reading, and found explanation, but can not find anything now when searching!

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189521

…...Noting down the old reading and the start reading on the replacement.

When I was in the motor trade we would note the old and new mileage and the difference on a sticker stuck in the glove box.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189522

Mileage correction has been out for a long time..even adverts in auto trader were common...here is one I found hy go ogling the subject
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Odometer 5 years 2 months ago #189527

Yes a lot of these mileage correction people about...and the answer is yes they change your speedo to read mph or kmh....aswell has there being plenty over here doing it...Germany must have them aswell.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT