Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 3 months ago #189163

My 1996 VVC has a dreadful rear screen and it's time to replace it. I've decided to replace with plastic again and that task seems simple enough, however my zip is also damaged beyond repair. It's the early zip (I heard it described as the 'chunkier' zip earlier while on the phone to someone about it).
So it appears that, along with a replacement rear screen, I also need the "upper" (or hood-side) piece of the zip as well. I suspect that this will need to be sewn into my existing hood.
Which leads me to another point. My hood (rear panel aside) is in good condition, lovely and snug and doesn't leak at all. Which makes me reluctant to replace the entire hood for a good used one, as I really don't fancy the faff of adjusting & re-aligning the windows to get the replacement snug & water tight again.
I know this reads like a "can I have my cake and eat it?" type question but does anyone have any advice?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 3 months ago #189166

Ok, just spoke to the Bristol Sunroof Company (they were advertising a replacement rear screen fitting service on ebay) and they have quoted £226 to supply and fit a rear screen and both parts of the zip.

getting close to glass screen territory there, I feel. The car itself only cost £270.

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 3 months ago #189169

I had a plastic screen fitted by a mobile guy who came from Nottingham and fitted the screen on my first TF for a hundred quid.
I would not go back to a plastic one after having a glass screen on my current TF. No need for a zip with a glass screen.

Sundance

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189180

No need for a zip with a glass screen.

Sundance

I thought that the glass screen had to be unzipped to drop the roof?

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189181

My glass screen roof doesn't have a zip and it drops perfectly so you should be ok
Robin ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaffMGF

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189182

Cairnsys is right, the glass screen sits down without the need to undo it before dropping. Its good because it has a heating element and does not yellow or fade with age, one of the best mods you can do. Would never go back to plastic after having one!

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: TaffMGF

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189184

Ok, just grasped what was being said.

There is no need to unzip a glass rear screen to drop the roof. However, the glass rear panels ARE zipped into place.

So, a rear glass conversion requires a functioning zip, and the hood-half of my zip is damaged.

Arse

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189185

My glass screen is stitched in, no zip....not sure if the replacement screens only have a zip....

Sundance

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189186

When I had my TF, I replaced the plastic screen with a good 2cd hand hood with glass screen.
I bought it from "I love MG,s" & they fitted it as well for £200!

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189232

Taff, I have a glass screen sitting spare in the garage. It's an old design so does need to be unzipped before dropping the hood, but you could have it for the cost of postage. I'll have to check if it has the zips though.

I'll try to get some photos I'll later

Rear plastic screen replacement 5 years 2 months ago #189329

Taff, I have a glass screen sitting spare in the garage. It's an old design so does need to be unzipped before dropping the hood, but you could have it for the cost of postage. I'll have to check if it has the zips though.

I'll try to get some photos I'll later

That's extremely kind of you & thank you, but the issue with my car is the hood-side of the zip is damaged.

Thanks for the offer though :-)

Rear plastic screen replacement 1 year 8 months ago #199706

Any pictures of the glass one?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT