Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Under carpet heating? 5 years 2 months ago #189152

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
It might sound a little whacky, but having dried out my carpets once again, I've been wondering if it'd be possible to put under carpet electric heating into our cars, so a flick of a switch would dry up any accumulated moisture.
The options I can see that might work are thin foil systems that are available in 50x50 cm, or heating foils. Power wise, I can't see any 12v systems, so the options would be the use of an inverter or plugging the system into the mains every so often to dry out the carpets.
Anyone out there who has knowledge of underfloor heating, who could tell me if this could this work....
Thanks,
Winko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Under carpet heating? 5 years 2 months ago #189154

I don't see under carpet heating as being very effective in drying out the carpet, you'd be better off putting the effort in finding the cause of your soggy carpet.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: talkingcars

Under carpet heating? 5 years 2 months ago #189161

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi Cobber,
I wish I could find where the water is coming in! I've removed and sealed the snorkel; cleared the air-con drain hole and checked the pipe isn't kinked; adjusted the windows; cleared the sill drain slots; checked the scuttle grommets; run water over the scuttle area with a hose.......and still water slowly saturates the under carpet insulation....
The only thing I can think of is that water is getting in behind the seats somehow - maybe down the channel the rear window sits in. However, it'll have to wait until the summer before I strip out the whole interior, as I'm doing over 600 miles a week in Roxy at the moment.
The thought of flicking a switch to dry out the carpet is soooooooo appealing.
Winko

Under carpet heating? 5 years 2 months ago #189179

there is a metal plate backed with foam covering the hole where the steering column would pass through if it was left hand drive, check that. thats where mine was leaking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Last edit: Post by vdv. Reason: spelling

Under carpet heating? 5 years 1 month ago #189331

Its a long process of elimination in these cars, best done outside in summer. I took my seats out as well as the carpet and spent hours investigating the obvious "common" sites, door seals, cheater's, snorkel, door glass alignment etc.
I found that the most noticeable leaks was at the base of the passenger door just wear the seal turns and runs along the treadplate. There are holes in the seal at this point, I assume for drainage, but when the door is shut this compresses the seal as it should, but I'm sure water tracks over the lip of the sill into the cabin. I sprinkled talc around the door sills and it did show water tracking through.
I was also getting a small leak through the cheater which tracked down the door over the speaker, not enough to soak the carpet though.. I sorted this by buying a good second hand seal which runs round the windscreen and down the A pillars, washed it in in really hot soapy water and left it alone for weeks in the hope it would reform its original shape. It did to a point, but I still slid some 5mm soft rubber tube through the hollow section to improve the seal. I also replaced the Cantrail seals with new ones.
I understand brand new door seals are now available for about £200.
I also removed the rear bulkhead plate behind the seats which was quite rusty at the bottom. I'm convinced that this rust was caused by water tracking up the plate from the wet carpet over the years; as there is a plastic sheet behind the plate which was sealed and intact.
Its still not 100%, but a lot better then it was, it is difficult getting the door glass aligned properly even with new seals.
I made do without carpets for months before I got round to replacing them, and I also used my wife's yoga mat as an underlay, a lot lighter then the original. Its still a mystery to her as to where she left it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Under carpet heating? 5 years 1 month ago #189332

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thank you for all this info. I'd forgotten the tip about putting rubber tubing in the seal - I'll try that next.
My wife is too old and creaky to do yoga, so I'll have to nick one from my Mistress.
Winko

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT