Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189045

Happy New Year to all. Now back in UK after 3 years in USA and am planning on bringing my MGF back to life from storage - currently in a friend's barn in France! It will be around 3-1/2 years in storage once I get over there to bring it back to life, later this year. It has been on axle stands for the duration and has been started regularly. Apart from the obvious checks/changes of fluids etc. Can anyone offer advice on any potential "show-stoppers" no matter how basic or seemingly obvious the information I will not be offended. I plan on conducting the rescue mission in the Spring. Car is a 1996 MGF (Australian export version) with very low mileage.

As ever many thanks. Elona

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189047

Hi and a Happy New year to you . Three and a half years in storage ! Well I hope you manage to wake it up gently and that it wakes up in a better mood than my TF did last year after being off the road for only 6 months .
It is surprising how many little gremlins appear when a car with little mileage is brought back to life . I am sure there will be many suggestions from folk on here as to how to go about putting it back on the road after a long lay off.
We always appreciate a few photos on the Tbar . Good luck . :woohoo:

John

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189057

:welcome2:

The clutch arm and the brakes spring immediately to mind.
Clutch arm can seize with no regular use and the handbrake mechanism on the rear callipers is notorious for failing with lack of use.
David
:shrug:

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189067

Hope the rodents have left it alone, now that will be a show stopper!

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189085

I think Elona D was a little too polite! Any advice - no matter how basic would be most appreciated. Anyone have check off list of sorts?

Many thanks

WindsorD

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189089

Apart from the MG/Rover service check list for the Fand TF , I can't recall seeing anything on here .
Any vehicle being off the road for a lengthy period needs a methodical check from front to rear . All fluids ( Brake , Clutch , Coolant ) need changing . All the hydraulic / fexible brake hoses and metal pipes need careful inspection for perishing , cracking and corosion . All the brake calipers need checking for seizure along with the cables on the hand brake . All the steering and suspension components need inspecting and as it is an F with hydrolastic suspension , all the system will need the ride height checking . Tyres also need to be checked carefully, even they can be a liability once the car is back on the road with heat being a factor . The list is endless and it will need to be done by someone who is familiar with the F .

John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Forgot a bit !

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 months ago #189097

I'd be looking into when the cambelt was last changed. If the car has been in storage over 3 years and the cambelt is done every 4y or 60,000 miles (whichever first) then its likely to be needing a change by now. Water pump and coolant refresh also.
Dave.

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 weeks ago #189936

Many thanks to all for the advice etc. Amazingly the car started first turn and I was able to drive it up onto the trailer. Now safely back in UK and with an MGF friendly mechanic for checks, cam belt renewal etc. I have a couple of questions:

1. Suspension was down but easily pumped up via the valves using 50/50 anti-freeze. No sign of any leakage at all - any areas that you suggest I get my mechanic to look into?
2. The key fob has gone missing in action. Any advice on getting a new one? Of note the car is an Australian export version - I am led to believe that it will operate on a different frequency than a UK version - again any advice would be most welcome.

As ever many thanks

Windsor

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 3 weeks ago #189938

Yes Oz spec cars do use a different frequency for the key fob, Rimmers should have Oz spec key fobs, I seem to recall seeing them in their online cattledog!
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"
The following user(s) said Thank You: WindsorD

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Bringing an MGF out of storage 5 years 2 weeks ago #190026

Good Evening.

Have just joined the forum today and quite impressed with the advice and general information I have seen.

I own a MG TF 2004 in average condition with a good service record. I laid it up over the winter and have been preparing it over the last two weekends for Open Top Motoring although it does have a Hard Top to take account of English Weather. I bought it last May pretty much on a whim as I was really looking for an MGB GT but stuck rigidly to me budget as I found the Vendors were adding a Spring Time premium and not willing to negotiate on price.

I would be interested to know how well it went bringing your MG out of storage. Mine started first time although I am sure a new battery with a Lifetime Warranty helped ( I have not yet worked out how Euro Car Parts make any money out of Life Time Warranties particularly as it was a Lion Battery so not the hightest spec. ).

I had to replace the main Key Fob which came with the car as the cover was damaged ( just one set of keys on purchase which was unhelpful - always something to allow for in the price if buying ) which was done by the MGOC Workshop which cost me £ 10.07 plus VAT. When I checked prices on the Internet they were substantially more expensive.

How is the car driving now ?

Mine has a soft top with a glass RVW as well as a matching hardtop so does not look too bad even if I say so myself. Would like to see a picture of your car if you are happy to disclose it.

Happy motoring !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT