Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188351

This winter I'll be installing Mike Satur's coilover conversion kit on my wife's MGF. I was wondering if anyone here has installed this kit and have any words of wisdom and/or advice to pass along when it comes to the installation process.
Mark
95 MGF

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188352

Hi
I have installed the kit om my ‘96 Mgf. My kit was the mk 1 kit where the turrets was a different design. Those turrets was a bit tricky to install, but the later design turrets are easy to fit. The rest of the kit is straight forward, but it takes some time.
After the conversion the car is handling and driving perfect. Suddenly the car has a suspension :clap:
The only adjustment i had to do after the install was a front wheel allingment.
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Added pic.

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188355

Thanks for the reply.

From reading the instructions provided, the assembly of the new suspension arm and fulcrum seems difficult but I take it that is is simpler than it seems. I imagine it will become clear once I start the install.
Mark
95 MGF

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188358

Hi Mark

Yes when you start i will be clear. To get to the front suspension arms you have to remove the front bumper and crash can. It is not difficult but it all takes time.
Also removing the hydragas spheres is straight forward, but again the space is limited and therefore you have to puzzle a bit.

I did my conversion on 2 x 6 hours and had no issues as snappes bolts or so.

I have set the car at the lover limit in the standard ride height range and the suspension adjusted as mentioned in the instruktions from Mike Satur.

At the first drive i at once noticed, that the suspension was firm but comfy. The handling was a little “stiff” and the directionally stability was not good. I could see, that there was a toe out on the front wheels. After a wheel alignment the car is driving absolutely perfect. (Only the front wheels was adjusted)
I had to correct the ride height a little after some driving.

I am sure you will be pleased whit the conversion..

My only concern is how it will go when MOT time comes next autum, but then again in Denmark the MOT men dont know how a MGF is built as it here in Denmark is a very rare car.:dry:

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188364

I would love to do it but here in Spain it would fail the MOT as it is non standard equipment, the GAZ shocks stick out like a sore thumb
I am going to check if I can fit and then get some sort of compliance check.
Failing that how long would it take a pro to remove and refit each MOT a bit drastic I know.

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188373

I doubt that the MOT busy-bodies in spain would know what a MGF is let alone know what or what isn't standard equipment!
Here in Oz the authorities don't know anything about them, and there were probably more sold here than in spain.
And if you feel the Gaz shocks are too much of a give-away.........paint the bastards black before you fit them.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188374

Here in Canada the MOT people of course don't know what an MGF is and being the stock suspension or aftermarket is of no concern to them, as long as it is 'safe', ie: no worn ball joints.

Swapping out original suspension for aftermarket is big business here, especially on 60's and 70's muscle cars.
Mark
95 MGF

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188376

There was a full write up on the installation of the Mike Satur suspension kit in a couple of recent MG Enthusiast magazines. It was quite detailed and took two magazines to cover it.
Can't remember which ones, but it must have been around April/May time..

Sundance

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188384

Trust me they know, there is a guy in Tenerife who even has to change his vented dicks every MOT. The MOT stations have an engineer's office attached and they have every thing on computer including mods that have been accepted.

Mike Satur's coilover conversion install - any experience? 5 years 5 months ago #188385

Whoops sorry for the spelling mistake painfull

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT