Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188147

I'm replacing my original style hood with zip out plastic window with a modern TF hood with fixed glass window.

On the third hood bow I've removed the 7 bolt bar that fixed the hood, and the riveted bar that fixed the window zip. I assume neither is replaced, and the hood isn't fixed to the third bow, so that it separates from the bow when folding the hood, and sits flat on the rear shelf when folded?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188148

It is a few years since I did the same but IIRC the new hood went on the same as the old one came off.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188160

This depends on the type of glass hood you are trying to fit. The first glass screens were bigger and did require a fair bit of adjustment to the frame.
The later glass screen hoods were made so that they were a straight swap.
Mine is a later version and was a straight swap.

So the shape and size of the glass is important.
David
:shrug:

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188161

If I recall correctly, Adamelphick fitted a first generation glass hood and detailed the work involved on the forum.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188164

Thanks David, the hood is a new modern hood with the fixed smaller window, and i understand is meant to be a direct swap.

I understand that when fitting a glass window hood to a car that had a PVC rear window, additional webbing needs to be fitted between the third bar and the lower fixing bar, to support the additional weight of the glass? if this is the case, does anyone have any details / images of where / how this is fixed? i believe it is riveted to the the third bow, and then trapped under the rivets fixing the back of the hood?

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188166

If I recallcorrectly, Adamelphic fitted a first generation glass hood and detailed the work involved on the forum.

That was me! LOL That hood now lives for posterity with MG Mania!

It was a faff - you have to release the rear top bar, fix the zipped part directly to the hood itself, then add the right length straps between the rear top bar and the rear lower bar (essentially to pull the top bar backwards) - i am hoping it's all still in the How To's here?

Found it but all the pics are gone: https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/25-adamelphick-s-guides/840-glass-rear-screen-how-to-fit-in-a-mk2-hood

Last edit: Post by adamelphick.

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188171

My replacement hood came from MGF Mania. It went on pretty much exactly the same as the old one came off. The hood came with a DVD with fitting instructions, which explained 99% of the job. The other 1% I phoned Peter Jones at MGF Mania for advice. He was very helpful.

All of the necessary straps came in the kit, along with the heater wire, rivets etc.

I've never fitted a hood before but I took my time and it came out OK. It took most of a weekend but if I did it a second time it would take much less.

The biggest problem I found was closing the hood again afterward. It was tight and took some stretching.

Be prepared to have to adjust the side windows etc after fitting.

Attachments:

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188172

I understand that when fitting a glass window hood to a car that had a PVC rear window, additional webbing needs to be fitted between the third bar and the lower fixing bar, to support the additional weight of the glass? if this is the case, does anyone have any details / images of where / how this is fixed? i believe it is riveted to the the third bow, and then trapped under the rivets fixing the back of the hood?

Yes, the additional webbing is the Support Strap Upgrade Kit - for Glass Window Hood - Pair - DSD000030PMASKIT and is presently 25% off at Rimmer Bros.
Mark
95 MGF

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188173

Yes, the additional webbing is the Support Strap Upgrade Kit - for Glass Window Hood - Pair - DSD000030PMASKIT and is presently 25% off at Rimmer Bros.

Just cut up an old seatbelt and use that for free!

Hood with fixed glass window - advice please 5 years 6 months ago #188174

Thanks. Blimey - £24 from Rimmers, or £3 for 2m of webbing from the local market sewing stall B)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT