Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188118

The car - MGF 1.8i Feb 1996 reg, currently about 81000 miles.
The symptoms - a couple of weeks ago, filled the tank at Sainsburys, drove into the carpark and the engine died. Called the breakdown, who fiddled and poked, wondered if it was the fuel pump relay, didn't find anything obvious, but the engine then started and I drove home OK. Next week-end, started the engine, backed out of the garage, and the engine died. Tried again, started and died, and then wouldn't start.
Investigation so far - fuel pump didn't seem to be coming on with the ignition switch so I studied the wiring diagrams and pulled the relay module from below the ECM. Internally applying 12V to each relay made it work, but I wasn't convinced I had the fuel pump circuit working properly perhaps due to something wrong in the ECM. Today I got some croc clip test leads and managed to check out the relay module and found that all four relays are working correctly. Reconnected the units, cranked the engine for a few turns and it started! 30 seconds later it stopped, and now won't re-start.
The nearest expert garage is 40 miles away, so I'd rather fix it here - any ideas? Anyone? Please!?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by michaelcngm.

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188124

My initial thought is a broken wire, I would check the continuity of the cable between the ECM and the pump.

It is also possible that the pump is starting to fail.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188130

I had a problem with the engine cutting out and not being able to restart, this would happen at random, and of course it would never happen when you had tools handy or were looking for it!
Turned out to be the fuel pump going through it's final death throws.
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188132

it could be the cam sensor, these can make the engine stall and not want to start again,had this problem with mine awhile back.worth a look before you mess with the petrol pump.

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188143

Sounds like fuel pump to me. I've had his twice. Once it was the pump itself and it packed in completely within a week.
The second time it was a dodgy fuel pump fuse in the inside fuse box. The fuse tested ok but it wouldn't pass enough current to power the pump properly. Put a new fuse in and never had a problem since.
David
:shrug:

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188170

I had exactly the same problem, turned out to be the ignition switch. Ended up stripping the dash out, hunting for the issue and was just about to replace the relays in the SCU, and borrow a good ecu to check that as the obd socket was dead to.

You can check by stripping the cowl from the steering column and pushing on the centre of the ignition switch (the black plastic connector at rear of the barrel).

Have you got all of your dash lights ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edit: Post by NigelOBB.

Engine died and won't restart 5 years 5 months ago #188202

Well, after studying the wiring diagrams and checking all the electric circuits to the fuel pump, it seemed to be working correctly, but still no start. As the wise man said, for petrol engine to run it needs fuel and sparks, so as I had fuel I said to myself 'I wonder if it's the coil??'
I had another coil which I'd fitted a year ago along with new HT leads and distributor cap and rotor which went on to get me in trouble at Silverstone when the g forces moved the LT cable and found a dead spot so that my sparks ceased. I fixed that by refitting the old coil, so I reconnected the dodgy coil and the engine immediately started. If I waggled the LT lead I could find the dead spot, but apart from that, no problem.
So I now have a brand new coil installed and working which only slightly compensates for failing the MoT for some corrosion at the rear subframe mounts, and of course emissions. With a bit of luck when I eventually manage to get a good run the CO readings should come down, but I'll be having to talk to my tame welder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT