Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187099

Hope someone can help, my dad took his mgtf for an not the other day, after checking all the basics it seemed in good order, he then got a call to say the car had no petrol and a flat battery? So he went to the garage and they had it running? But it failed on no rear fog and no indicators? Strange as these were all checked and were working. After he got it home he realised it had no indicators, rear fog, electric windows, electric mirrors, rear de fog and the drivers door locking motor now makes a buzzy sound when you lock it. We only replaced the SCU with a recon unit last year but we sent it off to be checked and all is fine.
I’m not sure if they guy tried to jump it and has fried something? All fuses are fine it’s really baffling us! Any help appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Mkz7212.

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187101

the motor in the door thats clicking needs changing, looks like you have a relay down , find some the same and swop them over you could be in luck if not go to the how to guides on here there are plenty of tips to help you out, the door lock may sort it self out if it is a relay,good luck. :broon:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mkz7212

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187107

Check all the -ve earth connections, there are several earth studs around the car for the return current. One that springs to mind is the left of the engine bay. They are easy to spot, all the wires are black.
Maybe one of these has broken off. I had no ABS, yet the garage I bought the car from said there could not be a fault as the self test worked every time. I found a broken off wire on the earth connection in the engine bay, put it back on and my ABS was fine again.
There is a very good electrical schematic floating about on the how to sections, it should help.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, Mkz7212

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187108

As Sundance says it will almost certainly be an earth, download & study the diagram, don't be put off with the complexity, for the most part what you have is several simple circuits all knitted together: a multiple of battery & bulb circuits. My guess would be, dependant on model, earth headers 0550 (k108) or 0553 (k108) for the f & K109 for the tf. There is another electrical supplement which shows where the various connections are. Rummage around a bit & I'm sure you'll sort it. Don't get bogged down with “electrickery” you wouldn't shit yourself if you had a torch to mend, you've just got several “torches”. Mike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mkz7212

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187123

I did test power to the switch and traced it back, there was no 12v+ getting to the fuse, when i did put 12v+ in i get fog lights but the switch doesn't work so i think the earth's are ok, this led me to thinking it was the SCU but like i say this was tested Tuesday (Should have it back today so i can test further)

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187125

Where would i find the K109 ours is a TF
thanks

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187126

As Sundance says it will almost certainly be an earth, download & study the diagram, don't be put off with the complexity, for the most part what you have is several simple circuits all knitted together: a multiple of battery & bulb circuits. My guess would be, dependant on model, earth headers 0550 (k108) or 0553 (k108) for the f & K109 for the tf. There is another electrical supplement which shows where the various connections are. Rummage around a bit & I'm sure you'll sort it. Don't get bogged down with “electrickery” you wouldn't shit yourself if you had a torch to mend, you've just got several “torches”. Mike.

Where would i find the K109 ours is a TF
thanks

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187133

I have a copy of the drawing here, I am not sure exactly where the earth tap is for this section of the car, but I would imagine it would be either under the dashboard, looks like there is one for each side of the car on this diagram, or maybe even under the bonnet.
Someone on here should be able to answer this, but drop the fusebox lid and have a good look up there, and also remove the glovebox, its easy just 4 screws.

Sundance
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187137

I'm away on business for a couple of days, then on holiday so don't have time to give you a pin point, if you go into Community, then downloads you will find all sorts of info on both mechanical & electrical stuff. You want to be looking for the electrical library & in amongst that lot you should find much useful stuff. As I am in effect away from today it's unlikely that I'll be able to contribute for the next six weeks so best of luck. Mike

Last edit: Post by Airportable.

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187139

thanks all for your input, will have a dig around later.
and have a great holiday Mike!

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187143

so just to update in case anyone else has similar issues, a previous owner had connected (Piggy backed) a cable to a black and white cable going into the larger plug, thinking this was either to resolve an issue or create one after twisting the SCU unit around to get my meter onto the cable the indicators came on! (Ignition was on and stalk was moved as i was looking at other things) after investigating further it seems there are poor connections with the smaller connector and the end of the SCU unit, wiggling these around brought everything (indicators, fog, windows, mirrors all back) think i am going to get some new connectors and re-pin the lot, i can see others have been in here before so if anyone knows where i can get the blocks or have some good second hand ones with ends on that would be great.

the car is booked back in for a re-test tomorrow, and people say my rotary is unreliable!

Lots of electrical issues (not SCU fault) 5 years 9 months ago #187147

I know I am too late now, but for future refeeence, some time ago I made thread with reference to earth connections here: http://forums.mg-rover.org/mgf-mgtf-%2Asponsored-mgfntfbitz-mgf-mg-tf-parts-01457-238202%2A-12/mg-f-tf-earth-points-locations-guide-486097/

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT