Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

How to install a brake-servo-bracket? 2 years 5 months ago #197274

hello I am new to this forum. I have a 2002 Mgtf that needs the servo bracket. It has a cover that goes from behind the servo over to the drivers side and covers the washer bottle at the bottom of the car. Do I need to remove all of this to fit the bracket ? Will I find a snorkel inside it ? I have bought the bracket from MG mania. My brake pedal is not spongy, but the brakes are awful despite hopefully replacing the brake fluid and fitting new discs and pads. I have not had the car very long it is a step speed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to install a brake-servo-bracket? 2 years 5 months ago #197276

First of all welcome to the forum. There is a how to section in the forum which gives you all the info on fitting a servo brace. One thing to remember is that you can't compare the brake performance of the F and TF with modern day cars . All the brace does is take the flex out of the bulkhead where the servo is bolted . If you get someone to press the pedal repeatedly and observe the amount of flex on the bulkhead where the servo is bolted it really is quite alarming. The brace just makes the pedal feel harder. Further improvements will be to fit armoured flexi hoses and better quality brake pads and of course change the fluid. Fitting the bigger AP brake set up would cost more but would give the performance of current day cars . My TF is a 135 with a standard brake set up plus the brace and its fine as I'm used to it . You have to remember that MG /Rover had to scrat around the parts bins when building the F and TF and fitted Metro brakes to the front and I believe Rover 600 brakes to the rear on the small brake set up as they had to build on the cheap . They are still great cars so enjoy .
http://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/22-cjj-s-guides/75834-brake-servo-flex-fix Servo brace

John .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobser

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate. Reason: Missed a bit

How to install a brake-servo-bracket? 2 years 5 months ago #197281

Hi and welcome to the forum

Yes, you do need to remove the big cover to access the servo.
You might be lucky and have a snorkel fitted but they were generally introduced in 2003, you should be able to see it before you remove the cover at the near side end.

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobser

How to install a brake-servo-bracket? 2 years 5 months ago #197315

Hi John, The rear callipers that MG Rover used on the F and subsequently the TF were first used on the Rover 800 in 1984 because they had the handbrake facility. the MGF was affectionally called the ''Parts Bin Special' as so many bins were raided in its build! the ignition switch came from a parts bin as the wiring colours dont correspond with the colours in the main loom, another example is the EPAS fuse holder, its marked with a rating of 70 amp but has a 40 amp fuse fitted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper, Bobser

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT