Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

*Ahem*B&G low coolant alarm-no problem! 5 years 10 months ago #185779

• JanCo's Avatar Topic Author
  • JanCo
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Afternoon. I know I could wait until Monday & call Brown & Gammon direct, but thought I'd check here first.

Just fitted a kit I bought 3 weeks ago. All seemed to go well, but on turning on the ignition, there is only one beep and the light shows. So the fitting would seem to be correct. However, there should be 2 beeps along with the light when starting the car up.

Additionally, when I started the car and held down the float, nothing. No beep, no light, nada. Held it down for a full minute but no response. Obviously this is not ideal considering how quickly the engine could lose coolant.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

edit: a further quick check shows only 9.9v across the plug when the engine is running, while the battery shows a healthy 14.7v

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by JanCo.

*Ahem*B&G low coolant alarm-no problem! 5 years 10 months ago #185781

• JanCo's Avatar Topic Author
  • JanCo
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
So turns out the only problem was with me. I checked the switch with no water in the tank-working 100%. Checked the circuit-working 100%. Refitted everything dry and the buzzer/light came on. Huzzah! Filed the tank and tested it-nothing again! What was wrong?

Dawned on me that the switch is magnetic & that I was holding it down with a big steel screwdriver. Perhaps the switch wasn't getting activated because of that? Tried a length of gardening cane instead-success!

So the moral of the story is: Brown and Gammons Low Coolant Alarm works, but not necessarily the person fitting it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by JanCo.

*Ahem*B&G low coolant alarm-no problem! 5 years 10 months ago #185789

:slapme: :slapme: :slapme: :bust:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JanCo

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT