Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 11 months ago #185166

https://www.arnoldclarkcustomerservices.com/Evhc/ViewCheckList.aspx?uid=8bc92474-5cf9-4337-b2e0-5ae93cea1ecf&rnd=1246

Do you reckon my pipes are the standard ones or stainless?

Also, whilst you are looking at the car, how bad is the subframe? What would I paint or treat it with?

Ignore the "oil leak" at 2 mins in. The drain plug is out, the inspection is referring to a previous leak when I had a camshat seal failure (I think)

thanks!! :)

Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 11 months ago #185167

Hi Nick.A bit hard to tell but I would say by the looks of them that they are standard ones ( not stainless ) . When I bought my TF 4 years ago the pipes looked like that and as I was wanting to uprate the H/G I changed to stainless . As for the rust on the subframe , I think you could do with a good wire brushing and a coat of rust converter of which there are many on the market. Then it's a case of painting with smooth Hammerite . The lower wish bones might be as bad on the inside where you can't easily get to so just do your best with them . My TF looked just as dry and unprotected as yours and was a bit of a pain in the arse to sort out . There are some who would say that taking the subframes out is easier than doing it in situ but that's not a job that many people can do ( Talkingcars, James is in the process of putting his back in I believe ) . I am sure there are folks on here who will suggest something better , just do your best .
John

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 11 months ago #185168

your floor pipes are steel, the stainless doesn't really lose their color, the subframes will be ok if you get a good drill with a wire brush on them, but for safety reasons, I would change the wishbones as some are known to have a fault that weakens them, use red lead and under seal on the subframes and they should come up like new, not an easy job but well worth the effort, I have seen them a lot worse than your's, has the engine cooling pipe been changed to stainless ? as these seem to go, I mean the pipe with the water bleeder on it? good luck, :broon: :broon:

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 11 months ago #185169

you can normally tell if a pipe is stainless or mild steel with a magnet......a magnet is very atracted to mild steel....stainless is normally none magnetic....but even some stainless will be atracted to a magnet normally where a bend is formed in a pipe....has the molecular structure can change has its bent.......i bought some a2 grade stainless bolts......you can slightly atract them with a magnet....mild steel will jump at it like a red rag to a bull.....stailess steel varies alot depending on the aplication ....stainless pipes for the mgtf are normally advertised as a2 grade stainless steel
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 11 months ago #185172

Neat way to get an inspection.

They aren't stainless pipes.

I would look at the less visible parts of the subframes and consider dropping them to get them cleaned up, they have less paint than the ones I took out.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 10 months ago #185427

If I start cleaning the subframes and whishbones and other bits, do I paint with black hammerite or one of the underseal waxes? Or just a rust eater? I'll go for hammerite unless anyone advises against it - just simply because it's easy...

thanks!

Nick

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 10 months ago #185433

I'm just doing my subframes and I have gone with wire brush, then rust treatment then spray on underseal. I think hammerite would tend to chip off more easily than a semi solid underseal. Personal opinion.
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 10 months ago #185434

I invested in a Schutz gun system through E-Bay, it's impressive & everything has had a do, even next doors cat. The standard Schutz cartridge under seal is a bit thick to apply via the tube extension so I warmed some Waxoil until it became fluid & sprayed right down the sill by removing the side vents. Plain surfaces just get blatted.
I was trying to put a link in, but due to my ineptitude I failed, sorry.

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 10 months ago #185435

Powder coat!

You'll be surprised how cheaply you can get this done, especially if you know someone who works somewhere that does it. A friend of a friend works in a spray shop for a factory that makes tube steel fabrications and a bottle of cheap scotch seems to be the going rate for some extra-curricular spraying ;)

It's one of my jobs for over winter if I can organise some workshop space.

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 10 months ago #185436

so I warmed some Waxoil until it became fluid & sprayed right down the sill by removing the side vents..

I was an even bigger cheapskate a few years back when I did the 4x4... I bought a cheap pump type garden sprayer, pot waxoil in that and stood it in a drum if hot water until it was thin enough to spray. Worked treat !

Stainless coolant pipes 5 years 10 months ago #185535

I am heading into the last quater of my F to TF subframe swap.

I have cleaned up and hammerited the subframes in forrest green (the car is BRG) and all the attached bits in smooth black.

I have a large tin of waxoil in the shed ready to spray everything when I am done.

It looks like the car was professionally undersealed early in her life.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT