Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184442

Evening all.
I've not been on the bar much of late although I always check in. I just need to know if it's a difficult job to replace the complete brake line system on a TF. I've already bought all parts and tools required and practiced how to make a double flare.
I'm quite competent with tools but this is a task I've never done before and just need a bit of encouragement and guidance if possible. My TF already has braided hoses fitted and I will be fitting a brake servo bracket. (Does it make a difference??).
Is their anything I should be aware of before I set myself to the task.

:beer: :beer: Steve.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184445

Clive's How to
That should give you a good guide.
Yes, the servo brace does make a notable difference. Especially to the 'feel' of the pedal
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stevew

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184447

Hi . As with any job that you are not familiar with you are going to feel a bit apprehensive. Just take your time . The only problem I could forsee is the bending of the tubing can be challenging and if you are a bit overzealous you can end up kinking the tube . You have already said that you have practiced making the flares so as long as you compare the flared end you remove with the one you replace it with you should be fine .
Like David said the pedal bracket does give the pedal a firmer feel as I fitted one a couple of years back and felt it was worth the effort .
John

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184449

easy job, just make sure you don't break the plastic brake holders, as they are really hard to get hold of, it took me 4 hours to change the lot, but put new flexy hoses on, as it is easier while you have everything off, it can be a little tricky getting around the cooling pipes, I did mine while my cooling pipes where off as I put stainless steel ones on after I fitted the brake pipes, it would be better though if there where two of you, but shouldent be too hard, I did mine on the ramps with the extention peices so it would not catch the rear or front bumpers, good luck.

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184456

Thanks Graham.

Works will commence in the next week or so. I did fit some Goodrich stainless steel braided hoses a few years back.
Thanks again for the advice and no doubt I'll be back again to pick your brains if that's OK.

:beer: :beer: Steve

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184457

your welcome :broon:

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184473

Can I catch up on this one, I've been away? Graham, you imply that you changed the whole system, can I ask if you made your own pipes from scratch or whether you bought a kit & is your car ABS. This is a job I'll need to address shortly so I'm in the planning stage, therefore if you made your own, which flaring tool do you have, a picture would be useful. I know you said it took you four hours & was easy, even working on ramps, but could you give us more details? You might be a lot more bendy than I & as I'm rapidly approaching a new hip I don't want to embank on a four hour job only to have to give up after six with an immobile car. Thanks Mike.

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184474

Invalid or non-existent item ID.hi, Mike, I bought the whole kit for Ireland off eBay, they come complete and when you have taken one off at a time all you have to do is place the old one on the floor and copy the shape of the pipe with your new one, as the new ones come in a roll, if you are in pain don't attempt it as you will be worse off by the time you have finished, but if I where you I would just do the front ones for now as they are not too bad to do, if you take it to a garage they will empy your wallet, just do on at a time, fronts first, these cars are not cheap to get repairs done in a garage, I only take mine if I am really stuck, IE diagnostic scan, if you take your time you should be ok, do it on a weekend that will give you the time you need to complete the job, this is the guy I bought my pipes off , no miIke mine has not got ABS thank god that would be a pain, hope you haven't got it, if you have you have your work cut out for you, as these can be a real pain, let me know how you get on and I will try and steer you through it,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184475

the brake master cylinder bracket makes a huge difference to the braking, I know I fitted one, though you do need the fingers of a Chinese watchmaker , this is well worth doing.:broon:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184476

Thanks Graham, both may cars have ABS, however that knot of pipework is in good condition & as it's the f which needs looking at, all the front pipework is accessible under the bonnet. Having spent some time in a very cold garage earlier I find that the bit that was of concern is the only bit which is of concern. A shivery run around with the brake spanner tells me that it's not going to be a fight so I'll have a friend recreate the dicky one & bang it on when the Arctic withdraws to the Arctic. Tah Mike.

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 month ago #184479

glad to know you can sort it out and you have someone to help you:broon: :clap:

BRAKE LINES. 6 years 1 week ago #184905

Hi guys.
Jobs going well so far, not had much time lately with work and that. As I'm going along I'm doing other jobs as well. As I've got the braking system drained I could do with some new bleed screws for the calipers.
Can we get stainless steel ones for the front ap calipers and the standard rear calipers?

:beer: :beer: Steve.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.972 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT