Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181941

F wont start after doing the above work 2000 reg.
Engine cranks starter turns there is spark & fuel.

Baffled

Please Log in to join the conversation.

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181943

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds frustrating but could be a multitude of things.

Is yours a MEMS 3, if so stick an OBD2 reader on it and see what comes up.

Is it turning over fast enough?

How strong is the spark?

Have you double checked the timing marks?

Manual or automatic tensioner?

James

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181944

Thanks my 1st post. frustrating isnt the word. had to leave it in Warrington
Battery ok cranking fine, storng spark iridium plugs tested each plug fuel is there too,
Timing is correct & new auto tensioner working after two turns back to correct position.

Is there any way the alarm works but the mobilser stays on no letting it fire up ( but its cranking over took al plugs out 4 flames. checked fuel pressure.

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181946

Who did the work for you?

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181947

Is there any way the alarm works but the mobilser stays on no letting it fire up ( but its cranking over took al plugs out 4 flames. checked fuel pressure.

What is the LED doing on the dash?

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181975

I think there is a mode whereby the immobiliser seems to indicate its disengaged and allows the engine to crank but not start. If you read some of the older MGF forum posts it seems to be a common problem after a car is laid up over the winter. Indeed, i had this problem myself. I never did find the root cause despite having access to a PSCAN unit. I spent days trying everything, charging up battery, changing fob batteries, did an unlocking of the car using the EKA, checking fuel pressure, spark etc then one day i got in and it just started and has been fine ever since. Another person had the same problem and had to change the MEMS ecu, immobiliser ecu and key fob as a matched set from eBay to get his car to start. He donated the bad set to PSCAN to see if he could find out what the fault mode was but i have not seen any posts on the PSCAN forum to indicate an update on this. I can only suggest you keep trying to lock and unlock the car using the fob, key and maybe EKA code if you know it. Do this half a dozen times with a decent pause between locking / unlocking before trying to start the car. Good luck.
Nigel
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181994

Have you done a compression test?
If you have no or low compression then this is almost certainly due to the valves being forced open. It is not an unusual problem in rebuilt K series engines.
The trick is to restart the car by being towed. This usually restarts the engine. You then keep it running at approx 2000rpm and gradual ease off on the throttle - going back up to 2000rpm if it looks like stalling. This can take about 15mins. Once it ticks over without stalling the problem is cured.

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #181995

No expert but conventional​ wisdom says you should not tow f or tf.
Bumper to low
No towing eye

MGF WONT START AFTER CAMBELT CHANGE, WATER PUMP, CAMSHAFT OIL SEALS. ? 6 years 4 months ago #182001

If it's good enough for Roger Parker - it's good enough for me!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT