Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181872

Just go my wife leather armrest,blue, leather T bar,blue, and, leather roll hoops,yellow.

Right..... I would like to change the blue leather to black & the yellow to red.

Has anyone got any cheap ideas on colouring them before I spend a fortune on a kit??

I was thinking for the hoops & T bar vinyl paint spray as they're not going to be touched or move but the armrest will be in constant use so need a sealer or something on top of colour so no transfer or cracking etc.

Look forward to any ideas you've got.

Cheers :broon:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181873

Try to contact Mr Glenrover who posts on here.
He has three MG's and he has been colouring the leather on at least two of them.
He did a steering wheel for me and its pretty good! I'm sure he can advise you on how to go on.

Sundance

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181875

Have a driver's seat which needs work on the bolster as well as colouring it needs the dunkle taken out of it . Any suggestions
Attachments:

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181877

no picture????

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181878

OK,will not need a how to for this really, but feel free to add it to the how to list Admin.The products are purchased on eBay from a company called The Leather Clinic .They supply everything you need for the job of colouring leather. The kit will include leather prep,alcohol cleaner, colouring dye, gloss or matt finish ,clothes and sponges plus instructions that I understood so they were obviously simple to comprehend. You use the sponges mainly and they do send a few of them !
Firstly the job is to hoover and clean the seats, second is to prep the seats by dabbing on the prep cleaner.Then get rid of the prep by using alcohol cleaner on the leather. Give the leather an hour to dry out and then you can start to colour with the colourant. Again dabbing the leather with another new sponge,this is where a bit of care is needed. Don't go mad with it,less is more as they say. Put too much on and you get lots of bubbles that you then have to keep dabbing to get rid of. !!
I normally do 3 coats of colourant,leaving at least 20 mins between each coat. If you are doing headrests or whole seats it keeps the job simple. If doing panels on seats like my green ones ,just masking tape will suffice.
Then after the third coat has dried ( wait at !east an hour before putting the leather finish on ) again,with the dabbing technique with a new sponge,2 or 3 coats of finish and your done. Leave the seats for a couple of days ( to be safe lol ] , dont want those pristine white shirts of yours getting an added splash of colour !! The cost will depend on what you order, quantity wise, its not expensive for what you get as a finished article. The colour will last years ,i used my 16v coupe every day and it doesnt wear at all. Pictures are on this thread, admin feel free to add photos of my red seats and green seats to this how-to. Get dyeing folks !
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: graham1, El gordo escoces

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181879

This is seats,steering wheel and gearstick and headrests done.

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181880

See my photo's in the heading "photos"..... Page 2 .....for seats,steering wheel .

Re:Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181885

Whats the chrome piece over the headrest?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

Re:Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181888

Just bolt to the headrests , cheap and cheerful way to get some hoops !

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181919

That is a very useful how-to, Glen. I've saved the page and printed it out for safekeeping :-)

I've looked at theleatherclinic pages on ebay and they offer a bewildering array of kits and potions. Are you using the full recolouring kit like this?

Full Leather Re-Colouring Kit for Sofa, Jackets, Poufee, Armchair, Interior etc
Buy It Now

Which size kit would be needed for 2 MGF/TF seats? They offer 60ml (too small, I'm sure) right the way up to 1.5litres (which sounds a lot).

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181921

250ml bottle of colour dye will do both front seats plus wheel/ gaitors etc. The prep and cleaner are most important , so 250 ml best so u don't run out. The finish can come in gloss or matt finish. If you look at my photos,the finish in red is gloss, green is matt ! They will send you extra if u run out even if its not listed on eBay. Really helpful firm, they send it quickly well wrapped together in a box. Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

Re colouring leather??? 6 years 4 months ago #181922

That kit is the correct one ,I should have shares in their company , the amount I have had from them !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: BruceTF135

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds