Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180675

no not going to buy new, i am going to refurbish mine and paint them trophy blue, if I can find the right paint, would just like the handbrake to work correctly I will be happy with that.:yesnod:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180677

When I first got my tf160 it failed the mot on the rear brakes mot examiner said don't refurb them, wish I had listened probably lost 10 hours and might have saved a pound or so by the time I got the extra long circlip pliers.

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180679

Refurbing is not too bad, however you must use high temp paint, otherwise a bit of hard braking may see the paint bubbling!
I use rotary wire brushes in a drill to get rid of most of the muck and rust, however you should treat the whole caliper to rust killer before painting.
Most rear calipers bind and seize up, not because of the piston or sliders, but the pads jam with all the dust.
I generally clean mine once a year, wire brush all the dust out by hand, clean the shims with brake cleaner, also the pad bases, then re-grease with copper slip grease.
Fingers crossed, never had a sticky caliper yet.
I have no qualms about refurbing second hand either. Usually the seals are good if they have come off a working car, they just need a bit of a clean and paint.
If I am storing them for a while before use, I will run brake oil into the cylinder to stop the seals from drying.
If they do weep, then a seal kit is not so expensive.
My last set of rear brake calipers were a snip at 15 quid from a well known supplier in Glossop....

See the piccies of my refurbs in the Out and doing a bit thread.

Sundance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180682

I thought the rears had a auto adjustment for the handbrake that failed

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180686

Refurbished my rear calipers, both due to sticking handbrakes.

Problem was the shaft with the cable arm wouldnt return to fully off position, even with the big spring in place, and cables disconnected.

It is possible to flush the arms with penetrating oil, by squirting under the seal, but once they get to this condition they need stripping, cleaning and greasing.

One refurbished no problems, but the other had damaged needle bearings (pitted and missing rollers), which spares are not available, so i had to replace this one with a 2nd Hand caliper

Cleaned, inspected and painted and all OK again.

The actual auto adjustment mechanism rarely gives trouble, but you need to dismantle it to get the actuating mechanism out to clean and inspect.

Relatively easy if you get the "special" circlip pliers.

I would recommend getting a pair of used calipers, refurb these, and replace them, then refurb the ones removed.

Then you can do the work at your leisure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: graham1

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180707

I went for recon item which meant I had to give the old ones has service exchange...other wise the old ones would of been in bits by now...yes I remember one caliper wouldn't return on the arm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: graham1

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

rear calipers 6 years 6 months ago #180782

nice motor nearly as good as mine.........................

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT