Sign In   Register

Topic

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180688

Thanks David. Coincidentally, I bought a OBD2 reader from Amazon yesterday - plug in Bluetooth version. That will arrive today, so am hoping that will give me more information.

Lucky for me that all steptronics must have MEMS 3 and are therefore OBD2 compliant. According to VIN, it shouldn't be but checking over the weekend and it is definitely MEMS3.

Thanks

Terry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180689

If all else fails, I'm going to drain the CVT fluid, take the sump and filter off and then remove the valve body to get access to ratio motor etc. This will turn out to be one of those 'simple' things and I'm determined not to give up.

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180700

I recently bought a MGF Stepspeed and was wondering what colour should the fluid be?

It smells like regular ATF to me.

I have a feeling the wrong fluid was put in by shop that PO where he had the transmission rebuilt.

Cheers,
John

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180726

Hi John,

The official fluid was a pinkish/ cherry colour when I replaced my fluid.

Terry

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180728

My oil is pink also but I am getting a shudder in reverse and a clicking noise when I let off the accelerator, so I was thinking maybe the wrong fluid, but I am starting to think I have a deeper issue.
Car shifts and drives perfectly otherwise!

John

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180733

just keep at it, as I said these jobs can be a real pain, but when you have sorted it out you will feel the satisfaction of knowing you have done it yourself, good luck.

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180739

I think (am hoping) that I might have got to the bottom of the issue. A roadtest will confirm it, but, I'll report back once I know whether it's a definite solution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180742

I hope all turns out well

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180752

OK, Taken for quick test drive and everything working as it should. What was the solution, you might ask?

I had drained the old fluid and refilled with new fluid and filled to just under the max mark on the dipstick.

After exhausting all electrical faults, I checked the fluid level again. It was then that I noticed that the top of the dipstick had a hairline crack (or what appeared to be). Upon closer inspection, it appears that the dipstick head had been superglued back on.

A quick search on ebay and I get a new cvt dipstick. When I compare to the one that was on the car, the new one is slightly longer than the original. I 'dip' and guess what? It tells me that the box is over filled...

I then drained some fluid by undoing the rear inhibitor, cleaning up and refastening. Check with new dipstick and fluid is on middle mark.

Test run on my ramp and 'box' feels different in some way.

Anyhow, took for quick test drive tonight and box felt different, changing up completely differently than it was. In Drive, hit 60 and no high revs, in fact cruising. Switch into manual and hey presto, 6 'gears' to go up and down.

So, all down to a bodged dipstick, but...

All these things that I read about Steptronic- correct fluid, correct level etc. must be right. I suspect because there was too much CVT fluid in the box, that the solenoid/ actuator couldn't force enough pressure to physically 'move' the belt over.

Lesson learned, but, I'm hoping this will help others! Check correct fluid and correct level.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180753

really happy for you terry well done, may see you next year at one of the meets .

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180759

Thanks Terry, Great piece of detective / investigative work that could well be of use to other steppy owners. Not perhaps with the particular dipstick problem but just knowing that fluid levels are important (critical even).
Robin ;)

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 7 months ago #180773

Thanks for the advice Graham. I'm not convinced that there wasn't an underlying electrical issue to start with, but, clearly the fluid level was throwing a spanner in the works.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT