Sign In   Register

Topic

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180281

This is my first 'help' post, so hopefully, I've done this right!

I recently added a 2000 Steptronic to my existing 2000 MGF with a manual gearbox.

I picked the Steptronic up for next to nothing as it was listed as 'spares or repair' due to steptronic being faulty. Speaking to the owner, the car was serviced and then immediately afterwards no gear could be selected even though shifter would move backwards and forwards and showed PRND in display. As a result, he parked it in his barn and there it stood for 4 years.

When I collected it, I realised that it's actually a tidy car and has been well looked after. I also knew what the problem was with the gearbox and upon getting the car home and on my 4 post ramp, I could see that the selector rod had snapped in 2. New one ordered, fitted and gearbox working fine again.

I have since changed the cvt fluid (with the correct fluid) and cleaned up the front and rear connectors as they were mucky.

Car drives fine and goes up and down through gears 1 to 4, but, here comes the problem. Once it gets to '4th', the car will not go into 5th and 6th, so at 60mph, it's revving high. I have tried putting the box into manual mode and even though I can select 5 and 6 so that it shows in the display, the car still sits at maximum 4th gear. It will, however, move nicely between gears 1 to 4. I have exhausted everything that I can think of, have googled and searched and found various steptronic issues, but, nothing like this. It's also odd as this is a CVT gearbox, so it doesn't have physical gears, so it's almost as if the belt isn't being 'pushed' far enough up the cones. I did wonder if the gearbox isn't sensing the correct roadspeed or revs?

Has anyone got any ideas? Any help greatly received.

Thanks in advance

Terry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180282

Hello Terry.

Sorry can't help with the Steppy issue but :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: to the T Bar.

I'm sure someone will come along with some suggestions soon.
Robin ;)

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180283

Sorry. My sum of knowledge about fixing the steptronic gearbox is covered by changing the fluid and/or cleaning the electrical connections! After that I'm lost.:-?
David
:shrug:

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180285

Thanks for the welcome!

I have checked all of the usual things, even had the sump off - everything clean as a whistle, very little swarf on the sump plug and no nasty metal bits anywhere to be seen.

I didn't change the filter, but, not sure if that would affect anything. Even swapped out the GIU in the boot for another.

It drives lovely (lovely enough to be preferable to my manual F) but not in those top gears.

I did wonder whether it needs some form of calibration, particularly if someone has dabbled before me. I believe that there is an adaption procedure but Testbook is needed for that.

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180286

When the selector is in 'D' and not in manual, there are no gear changes with a CVT, so I guess you are saying that the gearbox's variable pulleys won't adjust enough at higher rpms/speed?
Mark
95 MGF

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180287

my mate had this same problem cleaned all the wiring connectors and all was fine, just dirt and age related crap, go through your wiring and see if this fixes the problem, good luck and welcome to the T Bar,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180288

Hi Mark,

That's exactly what I think seems to be happening. As per my original post, the CVT doesn't have physical gears, so it is as though the belt isn't being moved far enough along the cones inside. I have the Rover workshop manual knocking around so I'll have a look at that, but, there must be some sort of actuator that moves the belt. Either that is restricted in movement or my other thought is that a sensor is not recognising the correct RPM speed.

Terry

Last edit: Post by RedTel. Reason: Incorrect term used

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180289

Hi Graham,

I think that it has to be something electrical so I'll do as you suggest. I already fitted a new inhibitor and cleaned up the connector on the face of the box. Also has new GIU in boot. I was hoping that enough jiggling around of wires and something might reconnect!

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180293

can you get it on a diagnostic machine this should find the problem, but I am sure it is electrical

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180294

just phoned my mate, the earth strap and dirty connectors where his problem
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, RedTel

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180304

Thanks for that Graham. I reckon you are right. When I move the shifter through the gears, the lcd display dims slightly which points to electrics and I had been thinking earth.

It's in for it's MOT today (which it's just failed for 'restricted or little movement - both rear wheels') - tester probably forgetting it's rear wheel drive and auto gearbox.

My mate owns a garage but doesn't do the MOT's there, but, he's going to plug it in when it returns to see if it's throwing up any codes.

A Steptronic Issue - but not one of the usual ones 6 years 6 months ago #180307

good luck and let me know how you get on, nothing worse than an electrical problem bugger to find,

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT