I'd have thought an hour's labour plus parts would cover it.:pop:
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Compliance bushes 6 years 7 months ago #179714

Just been quoted £300 to do both

Compliance bushes 6 years 7 months ago #179726

I guess you can always get a second quote.You have to remember that garages do have to make a living,and taking an old mg apart isn't easy,
You should see some of the bills we hand out

Compliance bushes 6 years 7 months ago #179737

You could try the shim trick. Basically putting a 2 or 3mm plastic washer/shim either side of the bush. Worked perfectly for me and cost nothing but time! There's a how to available on the forum. https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/21-david-aiketgate-s-guides/88966-compliance-washers-what-s-that-about-then
David
:shrug:

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Compliance bushes 6 years 7 months ago #179776

Thought Davids response seemed very cheap!

That will only apply to an "F".

A "TF" is completely different design, and compliance bushes are much more difficult to replace, especially if bolts corroded!

In which case I suspect £300 is a reasonable price.

Compliance bushes 6 years 7 months ago #179867

Just been quoted £300 to do both

Defiantly worth a second quote from one of the mobile mechanics.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Compliance bushes 6 years 7 months ago #179874

The rear compliance bushes on Felix have been knackered since I bought him...... several years of trouble free MOTs however. The trick is to make the 'clank' disappear, which only shows itself over rough roads or on acceleration. Basically you can insert larger versions of the slotted ones David created for the F between the rear arm and the compliance bush mount. I put 2 in each at 180 degrees to each other to cover the slot.... been there for a few years now!

Yet another use for an Ikea chopping board!!!!

Compliance bushes 1 year 6 months ago #199949

Adam,
just came across an old post you answered about MGTF compliance bushes and wondered if you had any detailed info about how you packed out the bush movement .
thanks
Mike

Compliance bushes 1 year 6 months ago #199951

Are they gold plating them ?

Compliance bushes 1 year 6 months ago #199952

Adam,
just came across an old post you answered about MGTF compliance bushes and wondered if you had any detailed info about how you packed out the bush movement .
thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

I made them up by hand out of what IKEA used to supply as their plastic chopping boards. The new ones will be too thin as you need it about 2mm thick... So you'll need to find something similar but here's how I made them:

1. Measure the diameter of the outside of the metal Bush surround. Cut 4 of these circles from the plastic.

2. Cut a hole around 1cm or so in the middle of each.

3. Cut one slot from centre to outside on each of the washers you've created, making them split washers.

4. Stick a pry bar under the lower arm and push down to give a small gap between the compliance Bush end and the subframe.

5. Slide one washer around the bolt that goes through the compliance Bush, between the subframe and the arm (the bits that are banging on each other). It should cover the whole compliance Bush and the metal outer part.

6. Slide another one on top, in the gap with the slot at 180 degrees to the first one.

7. Let the key bar pressure off and your done!

Hope that makes sense!

Compliance bushes 1 year 6 months ago #199960

Adam,
thanks for replying , I have an old compliance bush and bracket assembly which i bought some time ago to understand how they fit so i should be able to use this as a template to make the new plastic inserts if you agree .
with refence to the pry bar action, am I aiming to move the rear of trailing arm sufficiently to insert the plastic washers
understand 5 , is 6 fit another washer onto of the one you fitted in 5 but with slot at a different angle?

mike

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT