Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

coolant tank 6 years 8 months ago #179250

I have been looking at my coolant over the last 6-8 months and it is going down it was filled up 6-8 months ago but now the tank is nearly empty but not sign of a leak. I have bought a new cap 3-4 months ago but it still has gone down
Now I have looked at a new tank at £45 but I read a VW Polo tank works just as well and they are £12 ish so any one done this mod Thanks J
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

coolant tank 6 years 8 months ago #179251

Before I refit the tank, I would want to know exactly where the water was going. You must have a leak somewhere to loose a tankful. Worst case would be the head gasket and the coolant is going into the engine, or dribbling slowly outside the engine and evaporating as its trickling out.
Other two places I would look at is the radiator and the heater matrix, both are prone to leaks when the cars are getting to the age of our TF's
Underfloor coolant pipes are another bet, but most of our cars have had them refitted by now.
You can get a dye that shows up under ultraviolet light, we use it on machines at work when we are trying to find leaks in coolant systems.
Wonder if it could be employed here to help you spot where the coolant is going.
Have a google search for ultraviolet dye and see if there is anything suitable.
As for your coolant expansion tank, they are very robust and I would not imagine that this has failed.

Sundance

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

coolant tank 6 years 8 months ago #179253

Do you have the plastic inlet manifold or the alloy one fitted on your car?

coolant tank 6 years 8 months ago #179262

Yes, agree with Sundance and blue streak here, you need to understand where this coolant is going. Have you checked for contamination of the oil?
Have a look around the top of the expansion tank for coolant spray, if the cap is leaking, it will escape and spray around the top of the tank. Even new caps can be faulty.
Good luck
David

coolant tank 6 years 8 months ago #179263

Well I have had a good look around and although the cap is new it would look as if it is coming from the cap as the two wires which run passed the tank have coolant deposit on them .
so I well have to look on my paypal acc to see where the cap came from and ask them for a replacement
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

coolant tank 6 years 8 months ago #179273

Ask for a refund, and buy one from a reputable company such as Rimmers or one of the recommended suppliers.

Otherwise you might end up with another dodgy cap, and you will never be sure if that is the problem or not!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT