Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179177

Ive had my 2004 65k TF for almost 2 years and its been running fine - bearing in mind it doesn't do many miles - maybe 1000 a year.

Anyway, today it stalled 3 times. It ran to work (12 miles) fine, but on the way back it stalled at the first set of lights. It started again fine and ran until the next set. It idled fine and just before the lights turned green it spluttered and died. It started again fine and at the next set it spluttered and died again. It then ran home ok. When I came to use it a couple of hours later it was hard to start but once it fired up, it ran fine. When I got back home, I left it running and watched it and it ran at idle for 10 mins or so and then suddenly spluttered and died.

Its never done it before, diagnostics show no code or pending code. Once, 6 months or so ago, at lights the rev counter and speedo suddenly jumped all over the place like a wiring issue, but only ever once. It may or may not be connected.

Fuel filter and air filter were replaced 1000 miles (a year) ago. No idea when the spark plugs were done. I've never done them. But it drives fine. Just idle and just today - so far. But I suspect it's going to keep happening or get worse as 3 times in a day and then again on the drive is too much of a coincidence to be a one-off.

So, any ideas? It runs fine when driven. Where should I look first?

Nick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by NikTheGeek.

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179178

Does your code reader give you live data?
If so watch what the coolant temp sensor does.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179181

It does and I will do. But what are you thinking? I assume the coolant temp sensor also affects the dash guage? If so, that slowly goes up to just under half and stays there. It doesn't move. Or is that reading taken from a different sensor? But I'll check...

Idle isn't rough BTW and it doesn't hunt. Idle is really nice and smooth - until is suddenly splutters and cuts out...

tnx for the reply,

Nick

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179182

Try cleaning the Idle air control valve. I am sure that there is a "how to" on this forum.

David

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179184

Try cleaning the Idle air control valve. I am sure that there is a "how to" on this forum.

David

There is and also one to reset it: https://www.the-t-bar.com/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/50785-how-to-reset-the-iacv

I will try these at the weekend as it won't do any harm. But it's not hunting. It idles lovely until it suddenly dies...

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179185

I've had an on and off issue like this with Felix... the week before last I gave up and changed the throttle body, IACV and TPS with the ones I got from the Rover 45 I broke last month. The running is better but occasionally he suddenly goes in to 'lumpy wow up and down mode' on idle - so I think I need to thoroughly clean the new (used) IACV. I good few blasts with brake cleaner then a good dose of release fluid - let it all drain out then keep fingers crossed!

Next is to check a leaky inlet manifold (I have the alloy type with two gaskets), and associated piping.

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179186

I will give it all a clean and check pipes thanks.

Do they have an intank fuel pump? What would be the symptoms of that failing? That's the only other thing. The petrol tank was just less than half full which is about the lowest its been in 2 years! I normally keep it filled right up. Although on a R75 when I had a failed in tank pump, it wasn't an issue until you had less than a third in and on a P38 with a failed in tank pump, it was never a problem! :)

Nick

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179187

You might be on the right track, suspecting the fuel pump.
My car would cut out at random, there was no discernible pattern, this went on for months........ that is until the pump finally shat it's self
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179191

It does and I will do. But what are you thinking? I assume the coolant temp sensor also affects the dash guage? If so, that slowly goes up to just under half and stays there. It doesn't move. Or is that reading taken from a different sensor? But I'll check...

No, the K series has two coolant temp sensors, a blue one for the dash gauge and a brown (Mems 1.9 or Mems 2.0) or a black one for Mems 3.

Do not use the wrong one, it will give false readings.
If you look at the OBD data it will show the reading from the ECU (brown or black) sensor which is the one the ECU uses to adjust fuelling.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179192

No, the K series has two coolant temp sensors, a blue one for the dash gauge and a brown (Mems 1.9 or Mems 2.0) or a black one for Mems 3.

Do not use the wrong one, it will give false readings.
If you look at the OBD data it will show the reading from the ECU (brown or black) sensor which is the one the ECU uses to adjust fuelling.

Oh, I didn't know that. Right, I'll get straight on it - well at the weekend since it's raining and the TF doesn't come out in the rain :)

thanks all!

Nick

Last edit: Post by NikTheGeek.

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 9 months ago #179248

So it's not occured again. But I filled up. So maybe it is the fuel pump. Is there a way of testing it? Or is it a common failure item and should I just replace anyway? 2004, 65k.

thanks,

Nick

Stalled 3 times today - what to check? 6 years 8 months ago #179323

It could be stale fuel. You only do 1000 miles a year and say there was 1/2 a tankful in the car. How long had the petrol been in there, as unleaded goes off after a couple of months?

I'd put some high octane Shell petrol through her - it's far and away the best in my experience. That'll clean away any accumulated wax and other crud from injectors etc.

Good luck.

Winko

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT