Sign In   Register

Topic

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 5 years 6 days ago #189905

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Thanks Cobber.
Chris Flanagan used top spec bolts, and yet one has failed after 2 years 3 months. There has to be a reason for these failures....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 5 years 6 days ago #189906

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Right....... I’ve now had a look at Roxy in the daylight and it’s not the track rod end pinch bolt that went, its the complete bush and bolt at the anti roll bar end.
So, Chris’s assertion that these failures are rare stands up.
Once again, this is something new to me. Am I just being unlucky?
Winko

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 5 years 5 days ago #189918

Hi Winko,
a couple of questions for you .

First of all is the failure you are experiencing occurring at the joint of the Front ARB and its link or the fixings of the ARB to its bush?

1. The Bilsteins you have fitted -are they set at the hardest setting or the softest.?
2..There is some mention of additional stresses at the ARB linkages by Roger Parker ( Everyday Modifications mgf/tf 2nd Edition) when using certain Bilstein damper/coil combinations)
3. When did you have the Bilsteins fitted and what springs did you use?

regards

Mike

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 5 years 2 days ago #189937

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi Mike,

I've had breakages in two places. The first was the pinch bolt for the track rod end, which broke where the threads start. When we removed the opposite bolt, it was cracked around the head and would have failed. Last weeks failure was the bolt that fixes the ARB to the bush.

Roxy is a Sunstorm spec car - so the springs were Sports Pack 1. Chris Flanagan fitted the Bilsteins which are at the lowest setting, so she's running hard.

I'll have a look and see if I can find the Roger Parker info.

I really appreciate your help.

W

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 5 years 2 days ago #189939

hi
the particular information I have relates to when the ARB linkages or ARB bushes are removed to gain access for suspension work of any kind.( say to add/remove suspension assemblies).

It is vitally important that the ARB bushes and ARB linkage fastenings are only loosely tightened until the car is lowered ( the suspension is loaded) , or the suspension is pre- loaded at which point all the fastenings mentioned above should be torqued appropriately.
If the fastenings ( bolts) are torqued in the suspension unloaded situation stress will build up in the bolts and lead to premature failure in the suspension areas.

Information regarding torquing up ARB fastenings is mentioned in the F and TF service manuals.

Incidentally one of your photos seems to show allen headed bolts being used -was this really the case?

Mike

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 5 years 1 day ago #189942

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info - I'll investigate further.

Yes, the track rod end pinch bolt that failed and the one that was cracked were both Allen headed high tensile steel bolts.

Winko

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 4 years 11 months ago #189973

winko
the correct bolts for the TRE pinch bolt fixings are these.( Rimmers )

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-FB110101

and

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-FX110041

torquing up and the correct method are important

Mike

Lucky or what? And now doubly lucky.....!! Make that trebly lucky!! 4 years 11 months ago #189975

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Ordered.

Thank you.

W

Time to create page: 0.096 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT