Sign In   Register

Topic

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173523

• Winko's Avatar Topic Author
  • Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer

Driving to work yesterday morning, I heard something hit the bottom of the car. Checked steering feel etc and all seemed fine, so continued, reaching 70+ on stretches of dual carriageway.
Had another look around when at work and again, all seemed fine.
Left work last night and drove half a mile to a 'T' junction, giving access to the A59. Waited for a gap, pulled out and with a crack, the front n/s wheel folded in.
Eventually got recovered and the Police were fantastic as I was partially blocking a mad busy road in pitch darkness. Seems the rod securing nut had sheared.
Just image what would have happened if it had gone 5 minutes later when I would have been doing 60 on country roads. Don't think I'd be writing this post....
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Winko. Reason: Picture added

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173526

:omg: :oops: :hgf:
Any other damage?
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Winko

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173529

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Don't know. I got the recovery man to take me/Roxy to a garage and lowered her onto a couple of bricks on her N/S/F sill, to take the weight. It was pitch black, so couldn't see much.
Have spoken to the garage this morning and their initial inspection indicated that all I need is a new rod, £97.37 fitted. However, they're going to have a full check over to make sure everything is ok.
I was moving at sub 10mph when it happened, so I'm really hoping there's no other damage.
Winko
P.S. If I hadn't taken over from the recovery man, there would have been loads of damage. He was about to reverse the spectacle lift under Roxy (who's lowered) before I stopped him. He'd have taken out all the steering. You can tell what a muppet he was, as, having helped him strap her onto the lift, he asked if she was front wheel drive! When informed she was RWD he told me he couldn't tow her, as he'd damage the differentials.

Last edit: Post by Winko. Reason: Grammar

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173530

Glad its only damage to the metal, injury to the body can be a bit more difficult to fix.

Hope the repair goes well ;) ;)

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173533

Glad you're OK.

Have you bought a lottery ticket? Might be worth a punt B)
Robin ;)

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173534

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Sure have!!

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173535

P.S. If I hadn't taken over from the recovery man, there would have been loads of damage. He about to reverse the spectacle lift under Roxy (who's lowered) before I stopped him. He'd have taken out all the steering. You can tell what a muppet he was, as, having helped him strap her onto the lift, he asked if she was front wheel drive! When informed she was RWD he told me he couldn't tow her, as he'd damage the differentials.

Unbelievable. :slapme:

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173537

Wow ! Glad you are ok. Could have been a whole lot worse on twisty sections of road . If the roads near you are as bad for pot holes as they are here in Yorkshire it's no wonder that it's happened . Hope the repair is straight forward. The recovery guy seemed a bit of a dummy . Not what you want in that situation . John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Adding comment

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173539

• Winko
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Have just collected Roxy. Here's what was left of the bolt holding in the ball joint...

Repair - which involved fitting a new n/s lower ball joint was £93.88 including vat. The garage mechanics all asked to shake my hand for good luck, as if that bolt had sheared at speed, I wouldn't be here.
Still puzzling what stresses could have made it shear. Any ideas?
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Winko. Reason: Adding picture

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173541

may have been replaced once with the wrong spec bolt,,,,,,,,,when some replace bolts they check the thread and length....but not the strength rating.......or a heavy handed mechanic has given that bolt a good beating...some even swap bolts for shiny stainless ones which are not in some cases has good....great to see your ok :broon:

Last edit: Post by mgtfbluestreak.

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173551

I’m looking at this & trying to work out which parts have failed. The second photo’ shows what looks like the remains of an Allen socket headed bolt & having looked at the exploded view, doesn’t appear standard & would one bolt cause such a catastrophic failure. If the bottom ball joint had been changed previously & Allen bolts used, all three would have had to let go for the wheel to have collapsed & could standard Allen keys have torqued up the bolts sufficiently? Or am I missing something.

Lucky or what? 7 years 5 months ago #173552

i had a bottom balljoint bolt loose.......it caused a intermitant bang....gave me plenty of warning.....when i took the bolt off it was worn in the middle ...............and it wasnt a allen bolt..... :nonod:

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT