Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

mgtf central locking 8 years 2 days ago #167107

hi can anyone help
my mg tf , when press keythob to lock , car lights flash and it locks , when press keythob to unlock car lights flash but car does not unlock
any ideas what the cause is
thankyou

Please Log in to join the conversation.

mgtf central locking 8 years 2 days ago #167113

It may or not be the solution, but have you tried a new battery in the fob and a resync yet?

mgtf central locking 8 years 2 days ago #167131

Does pressing unlock on the fob clear the immobiliser?
If it does then the problem is either the drivers door lock or a relay in the BCU.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

mgtf central locking 8 years 2 days ago #167132

Is your TF fitted with the Pektron (round key fob) or Lucas (square key fob) ?

If its the Pektron BCU/SCU it may well be the unlock relay that has failed, the relay coils go open circuit.

Let us know what BCU/SCU type is fitted so we can give some accurate fault finding advice.

Brian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pecker

mgtf central locking 8 years 2 days ago #167133

round key fob , when pressed it takes immobaliser off as I can get in when I use key to open door and it starts the car engine , then when I get out it locks with fob , just wont open again
, also when I open it with key , it dos'nt open the passenger door as tho the central locking has gone down ,

Last edit: Post by pecker.

mgtf central locking 8 years 2 days ago #167135

I had the same problem recently with a Rover 25 with the Pektron BCU (round fob). This was due to the central locking relay in the Pektron BCU. You can get the relays on eBay from a guy called Paul Brown (Technozen) if your soldering skills are up to it or there are people who will do it for you if you send them your BCU (Paul for one).

Replacement Relay for MG Rover Pektron SCU/BCU - Also LDV - Pektron 0662P04A
Completed

I ended up swapping the BCU and getting it reprogrammed with the information from the old one as I fried the board when trying to solder in new relays.

I used a guy in Swansea (Kev at Remobilise.co.uk) who was brilliant I have to say - lent me a unit while I sourced another one, reprogrammed it and didn't charge me a bean - top bloke. (Remobilise also offer a repair service).

Might be worth talking to Kev or Paul as they will be the guys who will be able to diagnose your problem better than most.
Robin ;)

mgtf central locking 8 years 1 day ago #167163

www.technozen-electronics.co.uk

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

mgtf central locking 8 years 1 day ago #167168

hi can anyone help
my mg tf , when press keythob to lock , car lights flash and it locks , when press keythob to unlock car lights flash but car does not unlock
any ideas what the cause is
thankyou

Remove the passenger side footwell light panel (2 crosshead screws) if you look behind you will see the side of the Pektron BCU/SCU, there is a steel strap holding the unit in place, undo the screw (it may be a tamper proof Torx) bend the strap down and pull the unit out towards the passenger footwell, remove the 4 wiring plugs to release the unit.

With the unit on the bench tease the plastic cover open with a couple of small screwdrivers to release the board, on the board you will see the 5 relays, the relays are double units so 10 relay functions in total (2 relays in 1 unit) Identify the central locking relay from my image below (the relay has been un-soldered in the image but you can see where it sits on the board) if you turn the board over you will see the soldered pin-outs of the relay, if you open the attachment at the bottom of this post you will see my drawing of the relay pin-out positions, with a multi meter set to ohms measure the resistance across the 2 coils (one relay coil for unlock and the other relay coil for lock) you should get a reading of around 200 ohms on both coils (measure across pins 1 & 2 then 1 & 3) if you find one coil open circuit then you have found the fault (this is a common failure on the Pektron board giving exactly the issue you have)

If this is the case then you have a couple of options, replace the relay yourself as there are plenty for sale on Flea Bay from £5 to £7 per unit, or send the board away as suggestions on the posts above.

Whichever option you go for its best to replace all the relays on the board that have Pektron written on them as these are the relays that the coil windings fail by going open circuit.

Relay identification (note: central locking relay has been removed ready for replacement)

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, talkingcars, pecker

mgtf central locking 8 years 1 day ago #167171

Excellent. :yesnod:
Here's the pdf.

David
:shrug:
Attachments:

mgtf central locking 8 years 1 day ago #167172

Could this be my problem too??

Car locks with fob and alarm sets, when I unlock with fob it blows the under bonnet fuse and sounds the alarm.

I can't stop alarm until I fit a new fuse and turn off immobiliser.

If I unlock with the key it's the same.

Currently I haven't replaced the blown fuse so have no central locking or immobiliser.

It's a square Lucas fob btw.

WHALE OIL BEEF HOOKED

(THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS ANDY THE TYRE MAN)

mgtf central locking 8 years 1 day ago #167175

That sounds more like you have a wire(unlock) from the lock that is grounded to earth. Frayed or broken.
Check the cable loom that enters the door.:shrug:
And also the famous boot hinge loom too.
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy Lawrence

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

mgtf central locking 8 years 1 day ago #167183

cheers for the info,
pins 1 & 3 got 220 ohms but nothing on pins 1 & 2
so ive sent for some relays , should be here middle of week ,
ill replace the relay and let you know how it goes
thank for the help
Dave