Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #163982

Hi,
About to have head gasket/water pump/timing belt etc done after problems with hoses etc. Contemplating Evans waterless coolant - anyone had experience of using this.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #163986

Attachments:

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #163988

Personally I haven't used Evens, it is good stuff but I worry about the cost, especially if one of the most likely reasons for changing coolant is HGF so the coolant will be contaminated and therefore ditched.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #163989

I worry about the cost, especially if one of the most likely reasons for changing coolant is HGF so the coolant will be contaminated and therefore ditched.

On the other hand, the fact that with less coolant system pressure and increased cooling efficiency, then surely a blown head gasket is going to be a lot less likely occurrence
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #163990

Would the lack of pressure affect the coolant flow in the long pipe runs on the F/TF?

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #163991

Would the lack of pressure affect the coolant flow in the long pipe runs on the F/TF?

I wouldn't think so, as the reduction in pressure I refer to is not pump related pressure. The pressure reduction is more to do with the increased efficiency of the coolant on thermal expansion of the coolant itself.
The pump's job is to assist in circulative flow through the engine, rather than provide pressure.
The flow through the radiator would be mainly from the thermo-siphon effect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, cairnsys

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #164008

Thanks Cobber! I find the cooling of the MGF rather abstract at the best of times.
I have to admit that the cost is what really puts me off. I have never had cooling problems on either of my F's
(It would be nice if the bloody heater worked though!) but the thought of a failed coolant hose spewing $200.+ worth of coolant
on the drive would bring me to tears, particularly when 15 bucks of coolant would also do the job of keeping the car cool.

As the system would operate at less pressure a burst hose would be less likely, but I am just about certain it would happen to me! :slapme: .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #164009

I would only put this stuff in a cooling system that I knew had freshly replaced hoses etc for that very reason.
But I wouldn't hesitate to use it with good hoses, pipes, radiator and head gasket.
Think of it as the ultimate in cooling system preventative maintenance.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #164016

There is a waterless coolant made by Castrol about £20 for 5Ltr Its called 4live I have used it since 2000 with no problems
BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #164017

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Waterless coolant 8 years 3 months ago #164018

Here's a link to an Aussie company that makes a waterless coolant:
Liquid Intelligence

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest or have any other connections to this company.

I have however met the bloke that owns it and having discussed this product with him at some length and detail, I will give this product a go when both, I and the car are ready.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT