Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Improving rear braking the simple way - edited 8 years 8 months ago #161263

There have been many posts highlighting the need to improve rear braking on Fs/TFs.
This has been largely driven by the observation that MGR didn't increase rear braking performance when they upgraded the front brakes to the AP 4 pot callipers with the larger 304mm disks (from 240mm)
Many have elected to upgrade their rear brakes by fitting larger discs, either the 266mm Maidstone Sports Cars conversion or the 280mm ones available elsewhere.

I've always felt that increasing the disk size offers only a limited improvement. For instance, using a 280mm disk instead of a 240mm disk will give a 280/240 or 17% improvement in braking, all other things being equal. Whereas choosing your pads carefully and selecting those with a greater Coefficient of Friction (stickiness) could do the same, and much more, but with no other changes.

For instance..last year I had a set of Mintex 1202 pads fitted to my LE500..The CoF of those is documented as 0.25 to 0.35 (say 0.30). I had those checked as part of the MOT.
This year I changed the rear pads to EBC Greenstuff 2000s..The CoF of those is documented as 0.55, a nominal improvement of 83% over the Mintex. I had those checked as part of the MOT a few days ago at the same garage.

At the same time I changed the front pads to EBC Ultimax2 and they had a slightly lower CoF of 0.46 compared to 0.50.

I attach the figures here for interest but the main findings were:

1. Overall braking has improved by 6%
2. Rear braking has improved by a massive 40%
3. Curiously the front braking has decreased by 16%, although the new pads were only 8% less sticky. I can't explain the results for the front.
4. ..but confirming the 83% increase in CoF of the EBC Greens my handbrake performance has improved by 81%.

:D

Above post edited due to change in EBC Ultimax2 CoF
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys, c.steffan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Fatbaldingoldgit. Reason: change in CoF of Ultimax2 pads

Improving rear braking the simple way 8 years 8 months ago #161265

If I've read this right, you changed the rear pads to greenstuff and left the fronts as mintex.

Does that mean that the back is overbraking because of the better CoF, so the front doesn't then have to work so hard?

Makes you wonder what fitting greenstuff pads to the front as well would do......
Robin ;)

Last edit: Post by cairnsys.

Improving rear braking the simple way 8 years 8 months ago #161266

I fitted EBC Ultimax to the front...see cell F11...same CoF...supposedly...The back is braking better because the pads are stickier..more friction = more braking force available..think I might fit greens to the front and see what that does..
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa
The following user(s) said Thank You: cairnsys

Last edit: Post by Fatbaldingoldgit.

Improving rear braking the simple way 8 years 8 months ago #161272

I fitted EBC Ultimax to the front...see cell F11...same CoF...supposedly...The back is braking better because the pads are stickier..more friction = more braking force available..think I might fit greens to the front and see what that does..

My bad, should have examined your spreadsheet closer.
Robin ;)

Improving rear braking the simple way 8 years 8 months ago #161276

Interesting. I have had EBC pads and rotors on my VVC since I bought it and have been wondering why everyone complains about the braking.
My only other brake mods are braided hoses and a Jaylad Master Cylinder support bracket.

Improving rear braking the simple way 8 years 8 months ago #161281

I thought the EBC ultimax were supposed to be O/E spec with greenstuff, redstuff, yellowstuff and bluestuff getting progressively harsher.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Improving rear braking the simple way 7 years 5 months ago #172919

Hi - Did you ever get around to fitting greenstuff on the fronts?

Improving rear braking the simple way 7 years 5 months ago #172928

Hi pgew,
I guess Fatbaldingoldgit sold his MGTF months ago.
Regards
Christof
The following user(s) said Thank You: pgew

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT