Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Steering Wheel leather refurb 9 years 9 months ago #146407

I've got a red trophy 160 with the red leather steering wheel which has started to wear a bit on on the top.

Can anyone recommend somewhere preferably in the Midlands where I could the wheel refurbished ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Steering Wheel leather refurb 9 years 9 months ago #146408

I can't suggest anywhere but I renovated my driver's seat with a kit off ebay. :yesnod:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mezza

Last edit: Post by David Aiketgate.

Steering Wheel leather refurb 9 years 9 months ago #146409

Hi Mezza, I have a blue Trophy. I took mine to a car trimmers (in Poole), one of these places that touch up exterior/interior scratches that sort of thing.
He sanded mine back and repainted it with leather paint.

Before

After
Regards

Chris
If your going to have one, Have a big one!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mezza

Steering Wheel leather refurb 9 years 9 months ago #146442

Looks great, will have to try and find somewhere that can do it, those I've spoken to though say the colour match on the red is a problem ? I've seen refurbished ones in blue and yellow but never in the Trophy red, there seem to be the darker red ones about but never the brighter red. I did buy an old wheel and attempted to recolour that in the red, but it turned out orange in the end, must need to mix colours to try and get the right shade, Hence me trying to find an expert.

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192240

Has anyone had success refurbishing the coloured area of their steering wheel, either recolouring or repainting? And recommendations?

I bought my wife a red steering wheel for her birthday but the red portion is coming off.
Mark
95 MGF
Attachments:

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192256

There are kits on the auction sites and guides on you tube, I have no experience of either. Yet.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192257

Thanks James,

I did find this site, https://angelusdirect.com/collections/paint. I'll probably give their leather paint a try.
Mark
95 MGF

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192259

I sent mine off to Royal Steering wheels and they did a fantastic job on it . They replaced the perforated sides and the coloured red top and bottom . The wheel feels so much better than it did before.
John

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit .

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192261

I sent mine off to Royal Steering wheels and they did a fantastic job on it...…..

How much did that cost you John?

Not ideal from Canada though.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192272

Hi TC. Well I think it was about £130 but I can't recall if that includes postage . Royal Steering wheels can do a loan scheme with your wheel if you use the car daily . They send you a similar wheel , you remove yours and send it off for refurbishment and then swap and send back when done . If you check their Web site it will give details . IMO their service is excellent and the quality of the work is excellent.
John .

Last edit: Post by sworkscooper. Reason: Missed a bit .

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192274

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

Thanks James,

I did find this site, https://angelusdirect.com/collections/paint. I'll probably give their leather paint a try.

as with every paint job preparation is essential!

Give the leather a good clean with a leather cleaner and sand it with a fine grit evenly.
as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Steering Wheel leather refurb 4 years 3 months ago #192276

I know when Darren Hardy of MGFnTFbitz had his Moonshine Monogram TF resprayed, the painter also sprayed his steering wheel with the Monogram paint too. It worked a treat and looks amazing. So its not just leather paint you can use. If you have any rattle cans and possibly lacquer too, may be worth trying them. If it does not work then should be easy enough to remove.
This is the only picture I have of it and its a cloudy day so the paint job does not stand out but you can make out the top of the steering wheel.

Sundance

PS Found another taken at POL last year shows it up a bit better although my camera exposure was a bit wrong! He also painted the center console too.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT