Testing a sphere for regassing.
Scrubbing and waterproofing the hood.
Renewing the rear hood seal.
Making a level sender.
Designing a window ECU.
Driving it with the hood down.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 2 months ago #198295

I eventually fitted the replacement rear section of the speedo cable after establishing it had broken 4 months ago.

I was disappointed to find the dial still wasn't working running through the gears with the rear on axle stands.

I decided to drop her on to the ground to see if anything happened if I drove down the road. I went to disconnect the trickle charger and realised I had also split the front and middle sections of the cable. Doh.

And yes, it does work.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198329

Left at six. Drove the daily from Poole to Ripley, arriving shortly after nine fifteen and by 10.20 I had my prize removed from the donor car. A front offside wing in HAM from a car of the same year and similar mileage. A perfect match and undamaged, not rusted and well worth a 420 mile drive to collect. No prizes for guessing what I shall be doing tomorrow!

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198388

Putting a wing on is one thing, getting it to fit quite another. I wasn't happy with it and did the job again today. I am now happy and the car will look good and tidy once it has had a wash.. I bought a lint roller for the hood from IKEA for 75p which will be worth a try out later. Components arrived to finish the one touch and the coolant level sensor delay modules so those will be next week's target.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198389

The wing removal was to have been a lot easier with the wheel off. Now I know two more things about the MGF. The imbecile who created the wheel nuts must never be released and the picture hook trick costs 8p whereas front indicators are over £100 a set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Last edit: Post by minimax.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198403

What's wrong with the nuts?

What is the picture hook trick?

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198408

The steel covers over the nuts that don't fit the wheelbrace then come off requiring an 18mm socket to do the job as well as the wheelbrace and the locking nut key. Three tools to remove a wheel from the hub. Just what you need by the side of the road.
A small self tapper and a cut down picture hook are used to replace the self destruct system on the indicators. This allows them to latch back into the bumper

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198412

I think I've only had one problem nut in 20 years of MGS.
The earlier cream cheese locking nuts are rubbish, one of the first things I dump when I get a new MG.

I use the cable tie round the broken clip trick for the broken indicator clips.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198510

This week has been all about finishing and installing the one touch. So:
Installed the one touch system.
Sent my two spare front spheres for regassing to insure my own efforts should it all go wrong.
Collected the electric mirror from the post office and raided a scrapper for the connectors I shall need to fit it.
Ordered the other mirror as I might as well have a pair.
The dark side has me well in its grasp!
Bought components to make a batch of window one touch modules.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 month ago #198535

The week has been busy so far. This evening I stripped two mirrors and primed the backshells. Tomorrow I shall get a can of paint made up and start making a wiring harness. New mark three stops are due for the windows and I shall do the whole job at once while the door cards are off. The rear sphere nountings got a good soaking with plus gas. The driver's side feels as though it has some spring left but the passenger's is as stiff as a board so I hope I can save both of them. If not, I have a pair of regassed fronts which will be better than nothing. A new set of dampers are sitting in the garage waiting to meet an MGF and the polybush kit I swore not to bother with was too tempting at the price so If I only use half of it, it will be worthwhile. Should sharpen the car up nicely. Finished the window circuit and software* and drew up the test fixture that will work all the module functions once they are built.

*There is always one more bug to find-Murphy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LanderMG

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 3 weeks ago #198586

Just a couple of runs with the top down to warm the car through. Sent spare rear spheres off for reconditioning. Bought a great lever knob. Got the later window stops and put a Le Mans ticket in the glove box as a statement of intent.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 1 week ago #198685

Today was de-rattling day.
Put the car on the stands, checked everything underneath, replaced the clips that hold the black trim below the windscreen as it was slightly loose, fitted the passengers side suspension hose back into its clip to stop the joint touching the car, adjusted the bonnet stops to get the bonnet lines right.
And just because cleaning always helps I cleaned everything and then greased the front suspension.
Then there was the inevitable extended test drive along some suitable roads to test for rattles ....and cornering :lol:
Somewhere in the middle of all that I have fixed the rattle so I am very happy as rattles really annoy me.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.268 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT