Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #195827

It looks like you had trouble with the disc screws as well! :-) I think at least one of them is broken on every wheel of my car. One day, I'll fix them.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #195829

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
Yep. One was already sheared off after the last disc change. Cleaned up the thread on the working hole before fitting the last disc set. I bought ss Allen headed screws; used copperslip on the thread; and  it still seized  and snapped off when I came to change again! The weird thing was the nearside were treated the same last time and they both came out as easy as anything...
 I give up on the offside, those screws are not needed anyway...
Ground the remnants flat and carried on, lol...🤣
David
:shrug:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 10 months ago #195830

I fitted stainless steel ones in mine, when I replaced the discs four years later, came out easy as pie. Stainless is a good option as these bolts carry no load. Also I use the aluminium type spray anti-seize, not copperslip, as this does not wash away as easily over time.

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195833

Just started another job on my F. MOT tester had noted body filler on the n/s sill. Worrying about what I would find I made a start on removing it this afternoon. Turns out that previous work on the sill had been body filled on rather than welded. Who does something like that and secondly who allows it to pass an MOT like that 
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Postman87.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195923

I have AP 4 pots on the front of my Alfa, when I changed the pads and discs 1 pin on each side slid out, the N/S lower pin took a bit of effort but the O/S upper took me 4 hours, a bit of a mere cutting, drilling, hammering.....

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195924

I have 2 screws on the N/S disc and none on the O/S, same as David.

I previously have had to drill the heads on most of the discs, I did get lucky a couple of times with a 4mm drill absolutely square on, as the drill hit the remaining threaded part it just span out the back of the hub....

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195925

When I presented my F for its last MOT I knew the bubbles on the lower O/S sill were border line, the tester managed to find just the right point to push a screwdriver through :(

I am in the middle of fitting a Mike Satur sill repair panel. I have cut it down to about 30cm long as the rest of the sill is solid and this afternoon am shaping the new front end of this with a lip to go under the remaining original metal.

Then I am not sure if I should use my trusted arc welder, go round to my lads to borrow MY gas/gasless Clarke Mig (will it have gas, will it have wire, will it still work?) or go to Lidl in the morning to buy one of their Parkside wire (read gasless mig) welders for £80 - who doesn't like buying new tools LOL ;)

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195928

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Staring sadly at it sitting with a blown head gasket...
David

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195930

Staring sadly at it sitting with a blown head gasket...

Sorry to here about the head gasket David. That's everybody's worst nightmare. A colleague at work, who knows I have an F, shouts "blown head gasket" every time  walk past him. Next time he does it I'll bag and tag him and post him somewhere remote.

Last edit: Post by talkingcars.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195931

Like talkingcars I'm in the middle of fitting a Mike Satur rear repair panel. Not a perfect fit but close. Little work needed to get a good fit. I'm doing all the cutting and fitting then my youngest will take over and do the welding.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195934

So far this weekend I have taken the engine cover off my recently purchased F VVC and looked inside. A little messy, but have replaced the spark plugs, and fitted a pipercross air filter. The old filter was terrible and the air box full of sunflower seeds, fur and sweet wrappers. Never seen anything like it.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 years 9 months ago #195938

• David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
Squirrel,  .

On the hg,  I have Jon Norris coming in September.  He's a busy boy!

I've had to purchase a runabout in the mean time, so now have a Honda CRV 2007 for daily use. I can't get my head around the cavernous space inside and the high seating position. Plus it has loads of extras like cruise control, rear reversing camera and air con, not available in my MG. Plus it doesn't rattle going over speed bumps, lol.
David

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT