Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 10 months ago #193582

Fitted a new radiator, and fan. The old fan was cleaned up and mounted as a secondary backup operated from a dash switch. Works great.

Only had two problems. First removing the existing rad, the two springy clip things took at least an hour to remove both! Not having the correct tool, and limited space, together with them being put on so you could not see both release clips. Finally made using adjustable pipe grips, but still a long and painfull process.

Second probem, all the fan to radiator screws were rusted solid. Plenty of release fluid and swearing two eventally snapped. Which meant I could swing the fan to one side to get at the upper springy thing, and release the top hose.

Fitting back was a dream. All new staiinless bolts and clamps.

One great tip by Davis Aiketgate in his How To Change the Radiator: Use two clamps on the top and bottom hoses to eliminate having to totally drain/ refill the cooling system, You only loose the coolant from the radiator. The hoses are clamped under the washer bottle. Great tip. Thanks David
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193598

A nice run through the Derbyshire Peak district to the MG Mecca that is MGFnTFBITZ!
I am going to replace my clutch slave cylinder and the short pipe and flexi hose. Thought while I am at it, a new bracket and bolts would not go amiss either. So picked up the bitz to do the job.
While I was there got a good deal on a replacement door handle to swap with the one that's the wrong shade of grey - no nothing erotic in that!. Also picked up a replacement bonnet stay to refurb and replace the rusty one that is currently on Shadow. and Darren also threw in a couple of free Bitz stickers to put on the car when done.

I also had a good look at the Bitter Sweet 160 that they are doing a nut and bolt restoration on....these pics are from their own facebook page..enjoy!

Sundance

The following user(s) said Thank You: sworkscooper

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193631

Got round to fitting my new slave cylinder, fiddlesome job but it went in ok. The top bracket was also replaced that the cylinder is bolted to, but the lower bracket was left, as it is quite a big job to remove due to one of the pins being obstructed by the gearbox supporting arm! This is probably best done with the subframe out!
I ended up having to replace the pipe under the car that leads from the master cylinder to the flexi hose too, as I found that this was too far gone when removing the old flexi. So a brand new kunifer one was bent and fitted.
I hear lots of people complaining about bleeding the clutch and what a pain in the bum it can be, but my mates easibleed got the air out in a matter of seconds!. Also managed to replace the damaged plastic clips under the car that hold the brake and clutch pipes in place and also a couple on the other side that fix the vacuum pipe and air con pipe. A good job to do and hopefully a trouble free clutch for years to come!

Sundance

New pipe....

New slave cylinder in place.

Last edit: Post by SundanceUK.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193632

Sundance paint job super and well worth restoring car .I had a not good paint job on boot and bonnet .Don't go there . Will see if not and on road July 2020 !
Working on not my MGC . Welding rear forward inner wings . Feel as though I have enjoyed myself .. I have a few cars but need to drive somewhere . Anyone in Liverpool area .Shall we celebrate something Someone suggest date say in a week's time and venue

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193633

Cheers Fiddler.
I have my car booked into a local bodyshop to get some small rust spots sorted out next month, also a new front splitter going on.
Unfortunately I am going to have to de-stripe my car, with a look at new stripes soon.
Hopefully car shows will be back with us soon, I should be off for a drive around the peak district with some friends on Sunday, looking forward to it.!

Sundance

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193650

A weird one here - I haven't used the F for a few weeks but last week we went supermarket shopping so took her.

Battery was too low to start her so I used the jumper back and off we went.
I found I could only just get 2nd, 4th or reverse.....strange as it had been spot on a few weeks ago.
Got the shopping done and the battery was flat again.
When we got home I stuck her on charge for a few hours and she has been starting fine ever since.
However I have been avoiding situations where I have to reverse and have been block changing 1st, 3rd, 5th.
Used the car for a week to do the 10 miles to work and then home again but had occasion to take a 30 mile drive and as I neared home I realised I had changed into 2nd with no difficulty,
Since then all gears have performed perfectly.

Also I properly fitted the silencer properly after a year.....

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193651

Weird indeed ! So all rearward movements of the gear lever were causing a problem? Hmm !

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193652

Travel restrictions still apply in Scotland so I've been working (slowly) through a long list of jobs on the F. Number 1 plug socket was filling with oil so the cam cover gasket was obviously suspect and by luck a friend offered me a polished cam cover so that was the incentive I needed to change the gasket. I do prefer the look of the polished cover, however hidden it is, but the added bonus was that the old cover had a stripped thread for one of the coil bolts while the 'new' one is perfect. No wonder there was oil in #1 - there was a chink of gasket missing.

1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Last edit: Post by cairnsys. Reason: Inserted pics into post

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193654

Help. What have I done ? When cold ,F would only start with a bit of " easy start "or a squirt of petrol in the inlet . Then perfect running Good Battery by the way
Made sure new petrol in the tank. Took off the plug to the temp sensor .the 2 wire points rearwards . Started better than a new car . Signal to ECU .? But what's the story with this . Hope tmorow car starts first turnover .

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193656

Sorry the brown temp sensor points forwards ! . I must be suffering from over fueling or under . If the squirt into the inlet starts the car ...under fueling ?
Tomorrow will see if things ok and car starts . Otherwise enjoying MGC .today springs and back axle all removed

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193660

Great success it starts like crazy with the plug off the brown 2 wire sensor .
New sensor ordered.
Put back no start cold .off on off on
Proof ok new petrol too. MOT soon.
MGC all.welding that needs a brain done . Rear end clean up tmorow .

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 years 9 months ago #193661

Bitter sweet looks bitter fantastic green .Thinking about ECU and temp sensors why doesn't ECU recognise boiling high temp and cut engine. ? All Rolls Royce have a low oil pressure /cut engine as do Honda generators . Simple !

Time to create page: 0.308 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT