Sign In   Register

Topic

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140210

• David Aiketgate's Avatar Topic Author
  • David Aiketgate
  • David
  • David
  • mgf mk2 freestyle mpi 16" wheels, in Anthracite.
:yesnod: Don't buy an arc welder. Waste of time.
David
:shrug:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140261

Well after going and watching a few movies (to get some valiue form my Unlimited Cineworld Card!) I came home and started on the Lambda sensor replacement.

The wire was a pain in the ass to get untangled from the letal it was threaded past but eventually got it loose - only to discover I dont have a 22mm spanner! Sigh.

However while trying to fiddle around with that wire I decoded to take off the rear bumper so I could run Felix up the ramps, giving me plenty of (safe) room underneath to do the job. I managed to shear one of the bumper nuts off inside the boot (bloody things were rusty either side and the middle one was like new - why is that? Anyway after taking the bumper off discovered patchy rusty areas, admittedly not as much as I had expected, so I also took the crash cans off and sanded the whole lot down.

So tomorrow I am going to paint the whole under-bumper rear panel with my hammerite rust prevention paint... just in case.

I also left the sensor thread soaking with penetrating oil, and hopefully tomorrow I'll nip to Halfrauds and get a spanner, and then it will be a quick job... I just hope it will fix the lumpy runing and stalling as Russell suggested.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140272

Finished a rust repair to os lower wheel arch and booked her in for mot on Wednesday.

If all goes well next weekend is reserved for a cam belt, water pump ect and stainless under floor pipes.....

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140297

Today I got quote to respray my hardtop.

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140304

Today I got quote to respray my hardtop.

What's the damage if you don't mind me asking? id recommend the place that did mine a couple of weeks ago, but Stockport May not be very local... (£280 to spray the HT and de-rust / respray the back panel & boot lid)

Oh, and back on topic, this weekend, I finally fitted my brake servo bracket.....took bloody ages to get the old bolts out of the snorkel!

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140305

I washed three of them yesterday and then we went for a drive in the ZR - Mrs TC is starting at another branch for half the week and the easiest way to get there is to drive but she's only driven about 300 miles in the last five years!

So she paniced all the way there, we then walked along the the beach and went and found the local Tescos as you do. When we came out it was dark so I had to drive! Had a play with an Audi TT on the way back, which was nice.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140342

Well after yesterdays general derust job, I started today by getting up early and painting on the Hammerite Rust Prevention Paint... then went off to Halfrauds on the bus to get some Grey StoneChip, a 22mm spanner and some masking tape.

Got back and then had lunch. After waiting the 6 hours it said on the Hammerite tin I masked up the rear end and sprayed the StoneChip on - looks much better now!

On to the sensor.... would you believe it - the ring end wouldn't go over the nut part as it was too near the exhaist pipe! GRRRR. So I thought I'd drop the downpipe and get better access - I undid 5 of the 6 bolts with no issues but low and behold the 6th snapped! GRRRR for a second time!

Then as I eased the downpipe slightly lower I thought the flexy seem very flexy indeed - only to realise it wasnt actually attached to the downpipe part! GRRRR number 3! So I pulled that part out of the way.

It then took me a good hour to manhandle the whole exhaust/CAT/Flexy part out the back of the car. Managed to almost snap a mounting nut too!

Then it took me another hour to undo all bolts apart from one on the exhaust - GRRRR number 4!!! Ended up trying to cut the nut off - which was going well till my multitool ran out of battery... so it went on charge and I came in defeated for the day....

One bright light was I managed to get a brand new downpipe plus fitting kit for only £33 on eBay as I remembered I had a £10 voucher! Woohoo.....

So it arrives Tuesday.......

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140356

Yesterday I took mine for an oil & filter change and have the hydragas pumped. I then replaced my plastic Windstop for a mesh one. Today despite the weather I couldn't use it as I needed room for 4 people on a trip out.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140372

Decided to change the brake fluid yesterday which worked a treat. Did find out that you need to universal adaptor to fit the MGF brake fluid reseviour if you're thinking of using the Eezibleed system, which I didn't have so my lad was sat in the car pumping away for me ;)
Took her for a lovely drive out in the country with the roof down :drive: shame it wasn't just for that reason though, but that's another story.

So, clutch slave cylinder 2 weeks ago, radiator last week and now changing the brake fluid.... I wonder what next week will be??!!
I did slice my finger open though and it was MGF related although not the brakes.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140373

I did slice my finger open though and it was MGF related although not the brakes.

Ah well, now that you've made a blood sacrifice to the car gods all should go well! ;)
"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Re:Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140414

Yesterday I took mine for an oil & filter change and have the hydragas pumped. I then replaced my plastic Windstop for a mesh one. Today despite the weather I couldn't use it as I needed room for 4 people on a trip out.

So, if you don't use the windstop, you can get 4 people in :whistle:

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 10 years 1 month ago #140415

This past weekend I installed a set of illuminated instrument needles I got off E-Bay. It wasn't a simple job. Instrument cluster out and stripped down, instruments apart, holes for LED wiring drilled in the faces, wires run (That was the easy part as they just hooked up to the existing instrument light wiring) trying to get the instruments reading properly (That's the hard part!) and then put the whole lot back together. End result; Nice bright needles and clocks, fuel guage reads properly but the tach, speedo and coolant temp are all reading low. The dash is coming out for replacement in a couple of weeks so I will try to sort out the needles then.
Would I do it again? NO! :bang:
On a positive note, I moved my low coolant warning light to the instrument binnacle-Great Result!
You can see it above and between the tach and speedo in the picture.

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT