Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 7 months ago #125599

A worthwhile job the subframe prepping i found was quite time consuming.No great costs involved,stripped front end off and waxoyled underneath and underneath of tub.Only thing make sure you have a suspension pump for when subframe refitted.
The subframe rust grinded off zinc primered and repainted.

Ideally better on a ramp but as i done this over a period i couldnt commit to leaving it on our ramp as we need it for customers cars.

The following user(s) said Thank You: psymon, David Aiketgate, mogatrons, Leigh Ping, bensewell

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Pics inserted :)

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127273

It's a big job and well worthy of going into our how to guides section. Cheers GT MG. :broon:

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127283

Nice job..

Have you considered fitting the TF subframe cross brace? (solid mounts requied though)
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127289

Yes i have fitted tf front subframe braces and the the rear one in pictures.The centre brace behind heater control i have in pictures i have plans to take the interior out and sound proof the cockpit in autumn and fit some spanking tf carpets they are all in one & foamed backed much better,i will fit the centre dash brace,once eveything removed
Both subframes are coming back down christmas holidays ,so while its on ramp after delibarating for a while i have decided to have the inside front end painted the same colour i kept it racing green on original paintjob as i left the option of putting it back original colour one day but made me mind up when me new helmet matched the colour (just jesting).I have attached pictures of my mgf before and after i had it painted.I recently also resprayed inside boot. just bought a 51 reg original racing hff at bottom of post,its not mint but not that bad,keeping it original so going for it on the bogey green on my other one.

Last edit: Post by GT MG SPARES LTD.

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127290

Are you going to track day the car?

Have you individulaised the spheres? Or plan too?

If you havent done so.. Id also look at seam welding or adding gussest to the shock towers.. as the body can fracture.. espcially at the rear..

Ive done a fair few mods to mine to make it 'track ready'.. happy to discuss ideas etc if ya want any input..

Loving that green :broon:
Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'
The following user(s) said Thank You: GT MG SPARES LTD

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127294

Are you going to track day the car?

Have you individulaised the spheres? Or plan too?

If you havent done so.. Id also look at seam welding or adding gussest to the shock towers.. as the body can fracture.. espcially at the rear..

Ive done a fair few mods to mine to make it 'track ready'.. happy to discuss ideas etc if ya want any input..

Loving that green :broon:

No particular plans to hard track this one i have spent too much time on it for tracking,i learnt me lesson with tracking the hard way as a £8000 mazda mx5 roadster 2.0 sport in pictures got rear nudged in by a clown at oulton park last year i fell out of love with it a bit since,prefer drag strip i only have myself to blame if i crash.

If i go tracking again i would prefer to take something that doesnt owe me as much time or money cobbled together like me 220 in picture.

I Only taken the mgf to one show this year it as done 140 miles to silverstone and back.I am taking it to the silverstone track with the lads off forum end of october,this is a novice time allotment i believe so i doubt the marshalls will allow anything to agressive.I have only done mallory park and a couple of go kart events this year i havent done anything major this year.

My first love is something that will probably bore you,wait for it swimming and me and me youngest daughter had a busy year with swimming only one day off a week to much work and not enough playtime.
Things looking up on the speed scene down the pod with me nissan on the 14th.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping, bensewell

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127296

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Well done GT MG, a great read, keep them coming. :beer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: GT MG SPARES LTD

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127310

Well done GT MG, a great read, keep them coming. :beer:

I assume though often i make a ass of myself doing this you are a fan of the LHD vintage LE i am going off your avatar.If so did you catch them at the bottom of Carpark in there own congregation at MG LIVE.I thought it was fantastic they made the effort to travel over and show them off.Think i counted about 14 of the 30 could be wrong on the 14 memory a bit vague since june.

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127323

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
I have been known to like the odd stripe or two or four.

see here

There were in fact 8 original Vintage Racing cars at the meet, the most ever collected in one place

I was in contact with one of the organisers of the Vintage Racing get together but was unable to make the meet :(

Last edit: Post by PQD44.

FRONT SUBFRAME RENOVATION 10 years 6 months ago #127333

14 must have been the guinness :oops:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT