Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 1 week ago #114179

Minor disaster today :( A loud bang and a lot of steam.

After a trip on the pickup lorry to the workshop and opening up the engine cover I discovered that the plastic 'T' that connects 4 cooland pipes together (located just by the air filter cover) had decided to break (well, it's a 'T' with a 4th leg) and I had dumped all my coolant onto the road.

I have no idea what the availability of one of these would be so I made one out of 15mm copper tube and a bit of 3/8" air conditioning refrigerant pipe - all brazed together rather than soft soldered. Job done although it seems a touch smaller in diameter so I'm thinking of making another one from a 20mm brass T and brazing the 4th pipe (again with the aircon tube which seems about the right size).

Is this a common failure? Looking at the plastic bit it looks like it isn't too strong and I'm suspecting it may have had a previous crack although there weren't any signs of leaks before hand.

The engine did get hot today while stuck in a queue - I'm suspecting it hadn't been properly bled as the heater (the couple of times I've tried it) takes a long time to work.

I have tested both the engine compartment fan and the radiator fans so I know they all work. I'm thinking of at least testing the coolant sensor just in case - a job for tomorrow or the weekend.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 1 week ago #114191

Usually that pipe fails because of a restrictor that works loose and blocks the flow. If you have made a replacement that may well be better, it would be worth looking up the 'autopsy' thread and find out if the restrictor can be made permeant in your design.

Who knows, if the price is right you may get some customers....

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 1 week ago #114200

Is this the "4-way connector" that fits in the pipes from the coolant bottle? Part #7 HERE
(Likely if your car has a PRT)
If so the part is No Longer Available.
If you do decide to make up some extras with the proper size tube I would be interested as that is the only part I am short for doing a PRT conversion on my MGF.

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 1 week ago #114209

• Visitor
  • Visitor
we are finding that the plastic bits on the cooling system are start to age on these cars,we see a few thermostate housing that have cracked these days,its age im afraid

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114212

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/87921-coolant-hose-split-an-autopsy-and-shock-discovery?start=60#107238. Have a read of this

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114214

Yes, Part #7 is the one that broke. I'm going to make one today so I'll post a picture of it later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114219

Yes, Part #7 is the one that broke. I'm going to make one today so I'll post a picture of it later.

That'll be interesting. :yesnod:

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114221

• Visitor
  • Visitor
we have found a few therostate housing have broken off on the bit that sit inside where the water pump is.
I think heat over the years has taken its toll on some cars.

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114222

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

That'll be interesting. :yesnod:

Get ready for an influx of. "Can you make me one" or you could do a full set of metal connectors to replace the lot of plastic ones and sell in a set! You clever so and so :)

:hugs:

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114283

Here are the photos -
Version 1 - 15mm copper pipe - a bit too narrow but it was quick to make and got me home.
Version 2 with the original, complete with restriction (does it really need this??) - now fitted and working :-)

Yes it's PRT and, (lucky?) has the Lucas electronics - I read that these were more reliable but at roughly the same time as the PRT was introduced it was changed and the replacement is less reliable.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: Pics fixed :)

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114354

You're going to make yourself way too popular with the ability to make things like this. Especially with our coolant systems and some parts no longer being made. Great job. Keep us posted on how they hold up would you? :broon:

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Split cooling pipe 'plastic' bit 11 years 6 days ago #114374

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
Ooooh I might get some copper pipe....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT