Sign In   Register

Topic

Cubby Hole attempt 11 years 1 week ago #113983

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=309779

Hope we don't mind a bit of cross pollination from other forums?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Cubby Hole attempt 11 years 1 week ago #113985

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
I will get the dremmel out.

Cubby Hole attempt 11 years 1 week ago #113987

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=309779

Hope we don't mind a bit of cross pollination from other forums?

Haha Rich!. That is Kara's post (MGchic) the originator of this forum!:lol:
David
:shrug:

Cubby Hole attempt 11 years 1 week ago #113988

Didn't think you'd mind that one.
;)

Cubby Hole attempt 11 years 1 week ago #113990

And here's Adamelphick's original how to: ;)
David
:shrug:

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 9 months ago #190891

Hi , great upgrade ... can you tell me how the back of the funny is formed / blanked off please .cheers.. rover 25 box or mgzr?

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 9 months ago #190912

Rover 25 box or MGZR?

Basically the same car with different badging.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 9 months ago #190948

Thanks , (auto text wrote 'funny' - could have been worse 😶 !) , meant to be cubby.. was wondering how the back is formed ?

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 5 months ago #191754

HI All

I know this thread is some 6 years old, but I have just received a MGZR Dash Cubby and looking at fitting it as others have done in the past. Tried to find a good How-To but some are so bad because the pics are missing, and therefore it is difficult to understand what to do without them.

So, have airbag cover off and the first thing is the large securing brackets for the airbag. Looking at the set-up it is not a simple solution to just cut of the airbag brackets as there is a second piggy-backed bracket which holds the power-steering ecu!

Questions has anyone cut the brackets away? Did it help in fitting the Cubby. Did you move the power-steering ecu? how?

This would be a nice upgrade if I could get rid of the brackets.

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 5 months ago #191756

Hi I used a passenger side Cubby Box off a Rover 25, I've and I removed the metal frame removing the three bolts behind the dashboard, never came across the ECU ,and never tackled the framing for steering to accommodate left-hand drive.
Some of the pictures are quite old( if they are still available )however my posting is only a month or two back
(fil 6909) and I have included a couple of pictures here, almost the end result. Message me back if you want some further information I'm pleased with the result although it was quite exacting not quite done yet , but I propose to fix from the side edge with two screws into the the small reveal on the airbag aperture
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fisher

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 5 months ago #191757

Hi Fil6909
Thanks for the update it certainly helps. Will be taking the upgrade(!) today so will report back, what I found.

To confirm I certainly have the power-steering ECU fitting piggy-backed under the steering brackets so will not be able to remove the brackets.

Cubby Hole attempt 4 years 5 months ago #191758

Hi Fil6909

Finished cubby!

As I said mine has the powersteering ECU so could not cut off steering brackets, which meant I had to shorten the cubby (I still think it would still be a little tight)

Removed approx 30mmm from the back of the cubby. The cubby now fits flush with the top of the dash but then widens to the bottom by about 10mm.

I suspect I would have to cut into the existing dash to be able to seat the botton lower opening of the cubby to fit flush with the dash.

At this stage I am not willing to do that so short-term will live with it. But does not look out of place.

To finish, I glued some carpet (has some from old liner when I bought a new boot linert) over the open inner section I cut out.

Finally, temporarily fixed with lage blobs of silicon to the steeing brackets.

Fitted rubber mat. Looks good.

Will consider triming for a better fit once I have got used to the new cubby.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT