Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94260

• Bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I've been to Asda today to get some bits and noticed GTX is on offer £12 for 4litres.So I promptly bought three bottles for later in the year.I've used this on my F and ZT the last two services and think at the current price you can't go wrong.

What's you favourite oil?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Bob.

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94261

• Visitor
  • Visitor
I use whichever one I am told too :coat:

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94264

A semi-synthetic 10W-40 is recommended. A lot of people like Castrol Magnatec. Last time I used Mobil 1 and it seems to give exactly the same result as Magnatec.:shrug:
David
:shrug:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94266

I generally use Castol Edge fully synthetic (Magnatec isn't available here). Last summer I filled the MPi with GTX.
I can't say I've noticed any difference but then it's only been in there for a couple of thousand miles.
I think the most important thing is to use a quality oil of the proper viscosity and to change the oil and filter regularly.

Oh yeah......And to keep the oil and coolant separate! :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob

Last edit: Post by Rich in Vancouver.

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94267

You said it, Rich!:broon:
David
The following user(s) said Thank You: robamb

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94309

• Bob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bob
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
I did try magnatec a couple of years back but really cannot tell the difference between that and the GTX.Some say it quietens down the VVC mechanism but mine sound exactly the same whichever I use.I noticed magnatec was for sale at Asda too but was £26 a bottle.http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=oil&start=20&sz=20&showHits

I suppose dearer oil should be better for the engine but as long as it's in spec 10W-40 I can't see it making that much difference to engine life or performance.

Edge is £35 so i wont be buying that :nonod:

Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94321

All this talk of Castol Edge and GTX is making me dizzy!.. :sick: When your a student you have to settle for this stuff... :coat:

Whoops
:coat:
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Haydn.

Re: Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94330

Cheap stuff is absolutely fine, if you change it regular.

I change mine every 6 months, and I only buy the cheapest. Unless of course the posh stuff is cheaper. :)

The posher stuff is designed for longer change intervals, like 12-24 months or 20k miles.

I knew a lad once that insisted he loved his car more than I loved mine, as he'd put 96 squids worth of Gtx every 6nonths.... Haha poor guy (literally)

Re: Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94334

Cheap stuff is absolutely fine, if you change it regular.

I change mine every 6 months, and I only buy the cheapest. Unless of course the posh stuff is cheaper. :)

The posher stuff is designed for longer change intervals, like 12-24 months or 20k miles.

I knew a lad once that insisted he loved his car more than I loved mine, as he'd put 96 squids worth of Gtx every 6nonths.... Haha poor guy (literally)

Not true. As long as the oil meets the standards laid down by MGR initially, then it is fine for the normal 12 month interval.

All 10w/40 semi synthetic oil sold today will meet or exceed those standards (including the cheap stuff)

Re: Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94335

Halfords own is currently £10 for 4 litres.

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Re: Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94336

Eh? That's my point....

No need to worry about posh stuff as the cheap stuff is just as good, and if your changing it regularly anyways your just throwing good oil away, as expensive oils tend to keep their viscosity longer :)

Last edit: Post by crizd.

Re: Which oil do you use? 11 years 3 months ago #94344

I agree that all oil has to meet or exceed the requirements that MGR specc'ed.As long as it is 10w-40 semi-synthetic it'll do the job.

It's a bit like petrol, I suppose, some people will only use Shell, or BP etc. Some people swear that supermarket petrol will cause your engine to explode. I use Shell or Esso currently because it's cheapest.(about the same price as Supermarket fuel in Carlisle))

On oil, I have used Halfords own, Castrol, Mobil, etc. with no difference I could detect.
David

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT