Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78641

• watt's Avatar Topic Author
  • watt
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
strange one here but i managed to get a second hand stainless exhaust for a crazy low price because it needed repairs, just spent a couple of hours cutting and welding and it now fits lovely, only problem is that it smokes like crazy, the car never smoked before, any one got any thoughts on it?, the last picture shows it how it arrived, the only thing i can think is that it might have had some oil in it from the car it came off

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping. Reason: pics inserted :)

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78644

Did you fit the cat that was attached to it too because that thing looks like its been soaked in oil!

Last edit: Post by Luckymarine.

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78646

• watt
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
no i fitted my cat, i was carefull not to bash it around too much

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78650

Just give it a few runs to get upto temp and to burn off any residue and it should be fine then,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leigh Ping

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78725

• PQD44
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult
Watt, I had the same thing happen when I fitted a second hand Daytona. Took a couple of runs to get it nice and hot before it stopped smoking. I can only assume the previous car had died of a big engine problem letting oil end up in the exhaust.

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78729

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
Mine did the same it stank after some spirited runs it was fine oh and when the mobile mechanic forgot to put the oil cap on might have added to the smell to :rant:

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78754

• watt
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
Just out of curiosity has anyone heard a blue flame exhaust? This is supposed to be one although it has no markings, although it does look like the photos on the blue flame website. It actually sounds very much like the original exhaust, I can't say I'm disappointed with it as I like the way it looks and for 40 quid I can't moan, but looking at it I had hoped it would be louder

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78757

Just out of curiosity has anyone heard a blue flame exhaust? This is supposed to be one although it has no markings, although it does look like the photos on the blue flame website. It actually sounds very much like the original exhaust, I can't say I'm disappointed with it as I like the way it looks and for 40 quid I can't moan, but looking at it I had hoped it would be louder

nearly bought that one myself,lol cheap exhaust

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78759

As above re the smoke, although that looks like white condensate to me from the water which is always there, just doesnt show one its warm.
I looked a blue flame on the web site and on Youtube 2 years ago when I was in the market. They were quite sporty. It soesnt sound like yours is one of theirs. As the wadding collapses they gwt louder anyway B)

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78765

Do the exhaust gasses flow from both sides because if not it could possibly indicate some form of obstruction in one side which could possibly be the reason for it being on the quiet side

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 11 years 5 months ago #78769

• watt
  • Time served MGer
  • Time served MGer
yeah flows out of both sides, i think you get more at idle from the left pipe as it is the nearest to the engine, im not too concerned with the smoke, my oil and coolent are where they are supposed to be so probably oil left over in the exhaust from the last owner

Re: smoking second hand exhaust 4 years 4 months ago #191856

Does anyone know what the manufacture of this exhaust is that is shown in the first post? The LH and RH exhaust pipes both exist from the RHS of the exhaust. I ask because I found one for sale, I'm just wondering who the manufacturer was.
Mark
95 MGF

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT