Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Engine cooling fan temperatures 11 years 6 months ago #67808

• Seal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Seal
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
:( Morning all, can anyone tell me at what point the engine side cooling fan should activate?

I have changed the coolant temperature sensor and have now heard the radiator fan running after around 45 minute tick over. But still have not seen the engine side fan cut in.

Where is this fan activated from? If I put a 12 volt feed direct from the battery the motor runs.

The car is a 1998 MGF 1.8 VVC.

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

Seal (Peter)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.

Engine cooling side fan 11 years 6 months ago #67812

One way you can check the fan is by shorting the contacts on the connector plug that goes on the sensor. if the fan starts then all is well with the fan itself and the wiring.

I had the same issue, swapped the sensor but not yet had chance to drive the car since. Typical eh, by the time I drive it again at this rate it will be the depths of winter...
The following user(s) said Thank You: MAXTHEDOG

Last edit: Post by Mal7921.

Re: Engine cooling side fan 11 years 6 months ago #67816

• Seal's Avatar Topic Author
  • Seal
  • Journeyman MGer
  • Journeyman MGer
Many thanks for the information, I think that I expected the fan to operate at a lower temperature.

Again many thanks.

Re: Engine cooling side fan 11 years 6 months ago #67842

Checking the rave cd in the downloads section above -

On your model and year of car the engine fan activates once the engine compartment temperature reaches 85c, it turns off one minute after it reaches 75c or immediately if it reaches as low as 60c in the engine compartment.

If the engine bay temp reaches 130c the engine warning light will come on. The fan can run, quite normally, for up to 8 minutes after the ignition is switched off.

If the warning lamp is illuminated and the engine bay cooling fan motor runs continuosly when the ignition switch is in position 2, the probably cause is a faulty ambient air temperature sensor.

When a temperature of 102C is reached, the ECM switches the radiator fan on via a relay. The fan switches off at 96C.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dobby, MAXTHEDOG

Last edit: Post by Leigh Ping.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT