Sign In   Register
  • Page:

Topic

Door lock buttons 11 years 7 months ago #67567

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ok, after reading someone's post recently saying they need cutting off, and as my panels are already off, I decided to have a go!

The trim is off by removing a couple screws on side of door and one in handle. Note the use of a good pair of pliers holding the rod nice n tight. Use these or risk the rod popping out and breaking a clip (i did this.)

Now get some nice big pliers and firmly twist the knob! Once it's moving, you can slowly pull the knob off pin.

Look at the ridges on top of rod which were what the old knob was bonded around. These are why the knob must be firmly twisted before it is pulled (ouch) There shouldn't be any need for a hack-saw to cut the button (sounds better here) off.

Now the knob is pulled off, attach new knob to ensure fit. These 4 quid ones off ebay are ace as the plastic tapers off, ensuring a nice interferance fit which can easily be removed to take off, and replace door trim.

Now pat yourself on the back and admire your shiney, new knob up-down action! It's a far easier job if you get someoe to hold pliers tightly on rod! :beer:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by .

Re: Door lock buttons 11 years 7 months ago #67574

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!
First of all well done B) :P

You'll laugh at my attempt. I pulled off the entire metal thing with some pliers.

Then put it to the cooker and burnt that plastic off making sure i had a wet newspaper drip dray to catch all the burning particles. Then put it in cold water saved me faffing about with the hacksaw!

Dangerous and amusing cooking some door pins for tea :) :broon:

Last edit: Post by bensewell.

Re: Door lock buttons 11 years 7 months ago #67734

i just run a stanley knife from bottom to top,then filed little nobs off :broon:

Re: Door lock buttons 11 years 7 months ago #67756

This could be useful for others that decide to do this little mod. Therefore, I've added it to the Bling mods section. Good effort, cheers Dave. :broon:

Re: Door lock buttons 11 years 7 months ago #67757

Thanks for posting this. We have the same knobs! (I think they match the Mk2 'alloy bits' very well). I resorted to the knife - I used an old Kitchen Devil with the toothed blade and cut down until the hit the top of the metal (about half an inch) and then removed the top 'blob', I then sliced upwards 'banana' style until the plastic peeled. I'd also noticed the lugs on the metal pin and decided that's where most of the sticking was going on but didn't have the courage to try a hard twist - glad someone has and that it worked.

Richard
1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT